The Denver Nuggets (30-14) will travel to the Smoothie King Center to square off with the New Orleans Pelicans (17-28). The Nuggets opened as 3-point underdogs. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 231 points and it can be seen on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Denver Nuggets at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Nuggets (10-point underdogs) were defeated by the Houston Rockets, 121-105, while the Pelicans (3.5-point favorites) fell to the San Antonio Spurs, 121-117. The Denver game went 0.5 points under the projected point total of 226.5, while the New Orleans game went 2.5 points over the projected point total of 235.5.
Denver had a better turnover percentage (13.2 vs. 14.4) while New Orleans did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (25-32; 78.1 percent). New Orleans was lifted by Lonzo Ball, who finished with 14 points, 12 assists and eight rebounds. Nikola Jokic led the way for Denver with 19 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists to register his seventh triple-double this season.
The Pelicans have won both matchups against the Nuggets this season. In their most recent game, the two teams combined for 212 points, just under the projected point total of 216. New Orleans won 112-100, covering as a 9-point underdog. The Pelicans’ 34.1 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Nuggets, who had a mark of 25.5. Brandon Ingram scored a game-high 31 points.
Games featuring the Nuggets have typically finished under the projected point total (59.1 percent). Denver is 30-14 straight up (SU), but they struggle covering the spread (17-21-6 against the spread (ATS)).
Unlike Denver, games involving the Pelicans tend to finish over the total (57.8 percent). Further, New Orleans owns records of 17-28 SU and 21-21-3 ATS.
This contest should be a showdown of opposite paces. New Orleans prefers a fast-paced style of play (third in possessions per game), while Denver is methodical (28th in possessions per game).
Denver Nuggets at New Orleans Pelicans Odds Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- New Orleans ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (38.6) while Denver ranks 28th (29.8).
- The Pelicans rank fifth in fast break points per game (16.4) while the Nuggets rank 23rd (11.7).
- Denver averages 13.9 second chance points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. New Orleans ranks 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- Denver ranks fourth in assists per game (26.2) while New Orleans ranks 17th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- The Nuggets rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while the Pelicans rank 27th (18.7).
- The Nuggets rank 10th in steals per game (8.0) while the Pelicans rank 24th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Denver averages 50.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks fifth in the league. New Orleans ranks 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.7).
- Denver is 11-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while New Orleans is 3-0.
- The Pelicans are 17-25 when they score more than 100 points, while the Nuggets are 28-10.
- Denver is 9-9-3 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 11-11 ATS at home.
- The Nuggets have 11 unders and 10 overs in 21 road games.
- In 22 home games, the Pelicans have 13 overs and 9 unders.
- The Pelicans are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Nuggets are 2-2-1.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 4 overs and 1 under, while Denver has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 3.2 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has been defeated by an average of 3.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 110.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.6 points per game (4.6 above their season average).