The Delaware State Hornets (2-23, 0-10 MEAC), who are currently riding a 19-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they visit Echols Hall to challenge the Norfolk State Spartans (8-17, 6-4 MEAC). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Delaware State Hornets vs. Norfolk State Spartans Betting Preview
The Hornets lost a close one to the North Carolina A&T Aggies in their last outing, 54-51. Delaware State’s Joseph Lewis recorded 12 points and 10 rebounds in the game. North Carolina A&T had a much better free throw rate (0.245 vs. 0.100). Delaware State, on the other hand, forced the Aggies into a turnover percentage of 22.9 (above their season average of 17.7).
The last time the Spartans played, they were topped by the Hampton Pirates, 82-52. With 12 points and nine rebounds, Alex Long had a solid game for Norfolk State. Hampton had an effective field goal percentage of 0.592 (above their season average of 0.493). Norfolk State, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.145 vs. 0.077).
It will be a battle of opposite styles as the up-and-down Spartans will look to push the slower-paced Hornets. The Spartans rank 71st in possessions per game while the Hornets are 285th. Moreover, the Hornets rank 345th in turnover percentage (23.1 percent), while the Spartans rank 59th in opponents turnover percentage (21.4 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Spartans won the sole contest last season, 75-70. Norfolk State’s 0.549 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Delaware State, who had a rate of 0.461.
Delaware State Hornets at Norfolk State Spartans Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 171st in assists per game (13.1) while the Hornets rank 265th (10.4).
- Norfolk State ranks 88th in blocks per game (3.7) while Delaware State ranks 140th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Norfolk State ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Delaware State ranks 214th (7.8).
- The Spartans average 37.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 86th in the NCAA. The Hornets rank 195th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1).
- Norfolk State ranks 174th in three pointers attempted per game (21.3) while Delaware State ranks 269th (18.1).
- The Spartans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 64.6 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (2.4 below their season average).