A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Charleston Cougars (10-3, 1-0 CAA) when they meet the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens (8-6, 1-0 CAA) at TD Arena. Charleston is an 11.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 129 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens at Charleston Cougars ATS Preview
In the Fightin’ Blue Hens last contest, they won a close one over the UNCW Seahawks, 58-56. With 13 points and seven rebounds, Delaware’s Ryan Daly had a solid outing. The Fightin’ Blue Hens had a turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 14.2) and held the Seahawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.364 (below their season average of 0.496).
The Cougars hope to keep it rolling after topping the Towson Tigers in their last matchup, 73-62. Charleston rallied around Joe Chealey, who finished with 21 points and seven rebounds. The Cougars made 22 of their 28 free throws (78.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.622 (above their season average of 0.488).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams square off. Charleston ranks 325th in possessions per game (66.4) and Delaware is 305th (67.4).
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Delaware games have finished under 62.5 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Charleston games have gone under. The Cougars hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-3 SU and 4-4-1 ATS, while the Fightin’ Blue Hens are 8-6 SU and 3-4-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Cougars won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Charleston won 78-65. Charleston made good use of their 29 trips to the free throw line, converting on 25 of them (86.2 percent). Delaware, meanwhile, was 13-18 (72.2 percent).
Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens vs. Charleston Cougars Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Charleston, ATS Winner – Charleston, O/U – Under
- Delaware is 2-1-1 ATS on the road, while Charleston is 1-2 ATS at home.
- Of the Fightin’ Blue Hens 4 road games, they have 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Cougars have 2 unders and 1 over in 3 home games.
- Charleston ranks 122nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while Delaware ranks 225th (18.9).
- The Cougars are seventh in the NCAA with 4.2 steals allowed per game while the Fightin’ Blue Hens are 43rd with 5.4 steals allowed per game.
- Delaware averages 36.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 127th in the nation. Charleston ranks 156th in rebounds allowed per game (36.2).
- Charleston is 2-0-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Delaware is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Fightin’ Blue Hens have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (0.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (1.1 above their season average).