The Saint Mary’s Gaels (9-2) will attempt to prolong a six-game home winning streak when they take on the Dayton Flyers (5-5) at McKeon Pavilion. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140 points with Saint Mary’s set as an 11-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.
Dayton Flyers vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Preview
In the Flyers last outing, they were victorious over the Georgia State Panthers, 88-83. Josh Cunningham was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 8-for-9 shooting. Dayton played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3 (above their season average of 24.7) and a free throw rate of 0.491 (above their season average of 0.195). Georgia State was 22.2 and 0.310, respectively, for those same stats.
The Gaels will look to keep it rolling after defeating the UC Irvine Anteaters in their last outing, 73-66. With 25 points on 8-for-16 shooting, Jock Landale was the games high scorer. The Gaels made 22 of their 29 free throws (75.9 percent), while the Anteaters had a turnover percentage of 21.1 (above the 15.0 mark opponents have averaged against Saint Mary’s this season).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Saint Mary’s ranks 337th in possessions per game (65.3) and Dayton is 262nd (68.6). Furthermore, the Flyers, who rank 285th in offensive rebounding percentage (25.9 percent), will battle against the Gaels, who rank 46th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.3 percent).
There does not appear to be a trend for either of these teams in terms of going over or under the O/U total. The Gaels hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (9-2 vs. 5-5), but the Flyers have been better against the spread (ATS) (4-6 vs. 2-6).
Landale has really been playing well over the last five games for Saint Mary’s, averaging 23.4 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Gaels won the sole contest last season, 61-57. The Gaels offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Flyers. Saint Mary’s had a rate of 34.3, while Dayton posted a mark of 23.5.
Dayton Flyers at Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Dayton, O/U – Under
- The Gaels rank second in steals allowed per game (4.0) while the Flyers rank 81st (6.2).
- Saint Mary’s is fourth in the nation with 28.9 rebounds allowed per game while Dayton is 31st with 31.3 rebounds allowed per game.
- On the road, Dayton is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Saint Mary’s is 0-3 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Saint Mary’s ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (16.3) while Dayton ranks 145th (22.2).
- The Gaels average 16.9 assists per game, which ranks 32nd in the nation. The Flyers rank 139th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- Dayton ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Saint Mary’s ranks 114th (3.7).
- Saint Mary’s is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dayton is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Gaels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, down from 12.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Flyers have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average).