A10 foes will clash when the Saint Joseph’s Hawks (7-9, 2-3 A10) go head-to-head against the Dayton Flyers (9-8, 3-2 A10) at Michael J. Hagan ’85 Arena. Saint Joseph’s is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 151.5 points. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Dayton Flyers vs. Saint Joseph’s Hawks Odds Preview,
The Flyers won big over the VCU Rams in their last outing, 106-79. Darrell Davis was the games high scorer with 28 points on 9-for-10 shooting. Dayton played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.766 (above their season average of 0.545) and a turnover percentage of 13.9 (better than their season average of 18.4). For those same stats, VCU was 0.550 and 18.3, respectively.
The last time the Hawks played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Massachusetts Minutemen, 72-69. James Demery led Saint Joseph’s in scoring with 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Massachusetts had an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.527). Saint Joseph’s, meanwhile, held the Minutemen to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.1 (below their season average of 29.0).
It will be a battle of opposite styles as the fast-paced Hawks will look to push the more methodical Flyers. The Hawks currently rank 68th in possessions per game while the Flyers are 289th. Moreover, the Flyers 35th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.560) will square off against the Hawks 252nd-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.520).
Of Dayton’s 17 games, nine have finished over the projected point total, while 10 of Saint Joseph’s 14 games have finished over the O/U total. The Flyers come into this game with a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-8 SU and 8-9 ATS, while the Hawks are 7-9 SU and 6-8 ATS.
Shavar Newkirk has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Saint Joseph’s, averaging 19.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Flyers won the sole game played against each other last season, 77-70. The Flyers played a perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3 and a superb free throw rate of 0.250. The Hawks put up marks of 26.5 and 0.207, respectively, for those same stats.
Dayton Flyers at Saint Joseph’s Hawks ATS Prediction,
Predictions: SU Winner – Dayton, ATS Winner – Dayton, O/U – Over
- The Flyers rank 26th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Hawks rank 123rd (4.0).
- Saint Joseph’s ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (4.3) while Dayton ranks 93rd (6.1).
- On the road, Dayton is 3-4 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Saint Joseph’s is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Dayton ranks 40th in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 267th (40.1).
- The Flyers average 24.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 62nd in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 247th in three pointers allowed per game (26.7).
- Dayton ranks 53rd in assists per game (16.0) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 207th in assists allowed per game (15.5).
- Saint Joseph’s is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dayton is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Saint Joseph’s has been defeated by an average of 1.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Flyers have scored an average of 79.4 points per game (5.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (1.6 above their season average).