A10 foes will collide when the Richmond Spiders (3-12, 1-2 A10) challenge the Dayton Flyers (7-8, 1-2 A10) at Robins Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 136 points with Dayton set as a 1-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Dayton Flyers at Richmond Spiders Free Preview
The last time the Flyers played, they lost a close one to the Massachusetts Minutemen, 62-60. Dayton’s Josh Cunningham had a good performance, putting up 12 points and nine rebounds. Massachusetts had a better turnover percentage (16.5 vs. 18.2). Dayton, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.234 vs. 0.154).
The Spiders are trying to rebound after their 69-62 loss to the Saint Louis Billikens in their last matchup. Grant Golden was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Saint Louis had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 (above their season average of 30.0). Richmond, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 (above their season average of 0.487).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Richmond ranks 288th in possessions per game (67.9) and Dayton is 304th (67.4).
Of Dayton’s 15 games, eight have finished under the projected point total, while 8 of Richmond’s 13 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Flyers have a substantial advantage. They are 7-8 SU and 6-9 ATS, while the Spiders are 3-12 SU and 4-9 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Flyers won the sole contest played against each other last season, 75-59. Dayton made good use of their 26 trips to the charity stripe, making 21 of them (80.8 percent). Richmond, on the other hand, was 11-15 (73.3 percent).
Dayton Flyers at Richmond Spiders Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Dayton, ATS Winner – Dayton, O/U – Over
- The Flyers rank 243rd in rebounds per game (31.9) while the Spiders rank 251st (30.4).
- Dayton is 2-4 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Richmond is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- Richmond ranks 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while Dayton ranks 137th (22.4).
- The Flyers average 14.7 assists per game, which ranks 99th in the NCAA. The Spiders rank 187th in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- Dayton ranks 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Richmond ranks 101st (3.8).
- Richmond is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dayton is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spiders average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 9.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Flyers have scored an average of 67.4 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (2.0 below their season average).