The Wells Fargo Center will be hosting an East-West matchup as the Philadelphia Flyers square off against the visiting Dallas Stars. Fox Sports Southwest Plus will air the action, which gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16.
Dallas Stars vs. Philadelphia Flyers Odds
Philadelphia (-120) is currently favored over Dallas (+100) and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-105 for the over, -115 for the under).
Dallas is 18-15 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 0.7 units this year. 17 of its matches have gone over the total, while 14 have gone under and just one has pushed. The Stars are 8-11 SU on the road in 2017-18.
Dallas has converted on 19.0 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. Additionally, its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and it has successfully killed off 81.2 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, the Stars have been penalized 4.4 times per game overall this season, and 3.6 per game over its last five outings. The teams been forced to defend opponent power plays 9.6 minutes per game over their last five road outings.
Sporting a .909 save percentage and 25.3 saves per game, Ben Bishop (13-11) has been the top option in goal for Dallas this year. If Dallas decides to rest him, however, they may turn to Kari Lehtonen (6-7-1 record, .907 save percentage, 2.59 goals against average).
The visiting Stars have relied on Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn heavily this year. Seguin has 29 points on 14 goals and 15 assists, and has recorded multiple points seven times. Benn has 13 goals and 16 assists to his nameand has registered at least one point in 19 games.
Philadelphia is 13-18 straight up (SU) and has lost 7.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 31 regular season contests, 16 of its games have gone over the total, while 14 have gone under and just one has pushed. It’s 6-10 SU as the home team this year.
The Flyers have converted on just 18.6 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 76.9 percent of all opponent power plays.
Philadelphia players have been penalized 3.8 times per game in total this season, and 1.6 per game over their last five contests. The team has had to defend opponent power plays just 6.5 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Brian Elliott has denied 27.6 shots per game as the primary choice in goal for the Flyers. Elliott has 11 wins, 13 losses, and six overtime losses to his name and has recorded a mediocre 2.68 goals against average and a .913 save percentage this year.
Jakub Voracek (seven goals, 31 assists) will lead the offensive counter for the Flyers.
Dallas Stars vs. Philadelphia Flyers Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Stars, O/U – Over
- Over Philadelphia’s last ten outings, six of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 4-2 in those games).
- The Stars are 9-4 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 12-6 in games where they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes.
- Dallas is 2-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Philadelphia is 0-2 in shootouts.
- Dallas may hold an advantage if it’s a tight one late. The teams 7-3 in games decided by one goal, while Philadelphia is only 3-11 in such games.
- The total has gone over in three of Philadelphia’s last five games.
- Philadelphia has allowed 2.9 goals per game overall this season, but has driven that figure down to 1.6 per matchup in its past five games (the teams a perfect 0-0 SU over that streak).
- Philadelphia skaters have averaged 10.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 10.0 giveaways per game (ranked 18th in the league).
- Dallas skaters have averaged 5.6 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 7.6 giveaways per game (the sixth-fewest in the league).