Dallas Stars vs. Detroit Red Wings Matchup Preview

In their final head-to-head meeting of the regular season, the Dallas Stars and the Detroit Red Wings collide at Little Caesars Arena in an East-West matchup. The puck drops at 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, and you can see it live on Fox Sports Detroit.

Dallas Stars at Detroit Red Wings Odds

Dallas (+105) is entering this one as the underdog to Dallas (-125) and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals. The odds for betting the total stand at -110 money on the over and -110 for the under.

Dallas is 25-20 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.8 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 45 regular season outings, 25 of its games have gone over the total, while 18 have gone under and just one has pushed. The Stars are 9-13 SU as an away team in 2017-18.

Dallas has converted on 19.3 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. Its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and it has successfully killed off 81.3 percent of all penalties.

For the team as a whole, the Stars have been whistled for penalties 4.2 times per game overall this season, and 3.2 per game over its past five games. The team has had to kill penalties just 7.8 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.

With a .916 save percentage and 26.3 saves per game, Ben Bishop (19-16-2) has been the top option in goal for Dallas this season. If it chooses to give him a rest, however, head coach Ken Hitchcock might go with Kari Lehtonen (7-7-1 record, .910 save percentage, 2.54 goals against average).

Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin will both look to continue their strong seasons for the visiting Stars. Benn (42 points) has tallied 18 goals and 24 assists, and has recorded multiple points nine times. Seguin has 22 goals and 19 assists to his name (and has registered a point in 28 games).

Over on the other bench, Detroit is 18-25 straight up (SU) and has lost 6.0 units for moneyline bettors this year. 23 of its games have gone under the total, while 20 have gone over and none have pushed. It’s 10-13 SU at home this year.

The Red Wings have converted on just 19.0 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.0 percent of all opponent power plays.

Detroit players have been penalized 3.8 times per game in total this season, and 2.6 per game over their last five at home. The team has had to kill penalties just 6.2 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.

Jimmy Howard (26.9 saves per game) has been the top choice in goal for the Red Wings. Howard has 14 wins, 21 losses, and six overtime losses to his name and has recorded a .915 save percentage and 2.68 goals against average this year.

Dylan Larkin (seven goals, 28 assists) will lead the offensive attack for the hosts.

Dallas Stars vs. Detroit Red Wings Betting Predictions

Predictions: SU Winner – Stars, O/U – Under

Betting Trends

  • Detroit is 3-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Dallas is 3-1 in shootouts.
  • The total has gone under in three of Detroit’s last five games.
  • Six of Dallas last ten games have been decided by two goals or more. The team is 4-2 in those games.