Dallas Stars at Los Angeles Kings Free Preview

In their third and last head-to-head meeting of the regular season, the Dallas Stars and the Los Angeles Kings clash at the Staples Center for a Western Conference matchup. The first puck will drop at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 7, and you will be able to watch the game live on Fox Sports Southwest Plus.

Dallas Stars at Los Angeles Kings Odds

Netting moneyline bettors 4.2 units, the Kings are 45-36 straight up (SU) overall this year. That winning percentage, ranked 2nd in the Pacific Division in this young season, is a welcome improvement over the 39-43 record from last years regular season campaign. Of its 81 regular season matches, 42 have gone under the total, while 36 have gone over and just three have pushed. The team is 23-17 SU at home this year.

Los Angeles has converted on 20.7 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is rated second overall, and it’s successfully killed off 84.9 percent of all penalties.

Los Angeles, as a collective unit, has been called for penalties 3.9 times per game overall this season, and 3.0 per game over its past ten outings. The team has been forced to kill penalties for just 6.3 minutes per game over its last 10 matchups, in total.

With a .923 save percentage and 27.1 saves per game, Jonathan Quick (33-30-3) has been the primary option in goal for the Kings this season. If head coach John Stevens chooses to give him a rest, however, the Kings might turn to Darcy Kuemper (10-9-9 record, .932 save percentage, 2.10 goals against average).

The Kings will continue seeking leadership from Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown. Kopitar (92 points) has put up 35 goals and 57 assists and has recorded multiple points on 24 separate occasions this year. Brown has 28 goals and 33 assists to his name and has notched a point in 40 contests.

Over on the other bench, Dallas is 41-40 straight up (SU) and has lost 12.1 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 81 regular season contests, 40 of its games have gone over the total, while 38 have gone under and just two have pushed. Dallas 15-25 SU as an away team this season.

Dallas has converted on 19.4 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 15th overall and it’s successfully killed off 80.6 percent of all opponent power plays.

Dallas players have been called for penalties 4.2 times per game in total this season, and 3.0 per game over their past five games. The team has been forced to kill penalties just 7.7 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.

Ben Bishop (24.8 saves per game) has been the primary option in the net for Dallas. Bishop has 26 wins, 27 losses, and six OT losses to his credit, while registering a .916 save percentage and 2.49 goals against average this year.

Leading the offensive counter for the visiting Stars will be Tyler Seguin (40 goals, 37 assists) and Jamie Benn (33 goals, 43 assists).

Dallas Stars vs. Los Angeles Kings Free Picks

Prediction: SU Winner – Stars, O/U – Under

Betting Notes

  • The total has gone under in three of Los Angeles last five outings.
  • Power plays and penalty kills may prove to be even more critical than usual in the outcome of this one. The Stars are 14-16 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 25-22 in games where they’re in the box for fewer than 10 penalty minutes, total. The Kings are 18-11 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 31-20 when they’re in the box for less than 10 minutes.
  • Los Angeles is 2-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Dallas is 4-3 in shootouts.
  • Los Angeles skaters have managed 3.2 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a drop-off from its season average of 4.9 takeaways per game (ranked 32nd overall).
  • Dallas is ranked 28th overall with 5.6 takeaways per game. That figure has trended down lately, however, as it’s managed 5.0 takeaways over its last 10 games and 4.6 takeaways over its last five.
  • Dallas might hold an advantage if this one comes down to the wire. The teams 16-13 in one-goal games, while Los Angeles is 14-19 in such games.