The Dallas Mavericks (8-21) look to put an end to their five-game road losing streak when they challenge the San Antonio Spurs (19-10), who will try to extend their eight-game home winning streak. San Antonio opened as a 9-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 197 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs Betting Preview
In the Mavericks last contest, they were beaten by the Golden State Warriors, 112-97. Dirk Nowitzki had a solid performance for Dallas, leading the team in scoring with 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Golden State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.673 (above their season average of 0.585). Dallas, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (13-17; 76.5 percent).
The Spurs are hoping for a better outcome after their 124-109 loss to the Houston Rockets in their last outing. LaMarcus Aldridge was San Antonio’s high scorer with 16 points on 8-for-21 shooting. Houston was effective at getting to and converting from the charity stripe. The Rockets made 20 of their 25 free throws (80.0 percent), while the Spurs were just 7-13 (53.8 percent).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. San Antonio ranks 29th in possessions per game (95.9) and Dallas is 25th (97.5). Additionally, the Mavericks, who rank 27th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.172), could struggle to get to the line against the Spurs, who rank third in opponents FTA rate (0.167).
Games involving these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. Dallas games have gone under 55.2 percent of the time, while 57.1 percent of San Antonio games have gone under. The Spurs have the superior straight up (SU) record (19-10 vs. 8-21) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (14-12-2 vs. 13-16).
These two teams have met three times already this year, with the Spurs winning three of them. Aldridge led both teams with 23 points in the most recent contest, in which the Spurs lost 95-89, unable to cover as 5.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to score 184 points, which was 16 points below the projected point total of 200 points. Dallas had a better turnover percentage (6.0 vs. 9.5). San Antonio, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.138 vs. 0.112).
Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank sixth in second chance points per game (14.2) while the Mavericks rank 26th (9.8).
- San Antonio ranks 20th in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while Dallas ranks 29th (13.7).
- San Antonio ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (11.0) while Dallas ranks 27th (14.2).
- San Antonio ranks 14th in assists per game (22.7) while Dallas ranks 16th in assists allowed per game (22.7).
- San Antonio is 10-4-1 ATS at home, while Dallas is 6-7 ATS on the road.
- In 13 road games, the Mavericks have 8 unders and 5 overs.
- The Spurs have 9 overs and 6 unders in 15 home games.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Dallas is 7-6 and San Antonio is 11-5.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Mavericks are 5-8 and the Spurs are 14-1.
- The Spurs rank 21st in points in the paint per game (41.6) while the Mavericks rank last (37.5).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (6.0) while Dallas ranks 27th (3.5).
- The Spurs rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while the Mavericks rank 27th (46.1).
- The Spurs rank 20th in steals per game (7.4) while the Mavericks rank 27th (6.8).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.8) while San Antonio ranks 25th (25.0).
- San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spurs have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. On the season, San Antonio has defeated opponents by an average of 2.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 95.2 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 100.8 points per game (2.5 below their season average).