The Portland Trail Blazers (19-26) will be at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they go head-to-head against the Dallas Mavericks (27-16). Action gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last game. The Trail Blazers (7.5-point favorites) defeated the Golden State Warriors, 129-124, while the Mavericks (2.5-point favorites) fell to the Los Angeles Clippers, 110-107. The Portland game went 31 points over the projected point total of 222, while the Dallas game went 14.5 points under the projected point total of 231.5.
The Trail Blazers knocked down 27 of their 30 free throws (90.0 percent) and held the Warriors to an effective field goal percentage of 0.453 (below the 0.515 mark opponents have averaged against Portland this season). Dallas, on the other hand, held Los Angeles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.433 (below their season average of 0.531). Damian Lillard had a good performance for Portland with 61 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Dallas rallied around Luka Doncic, who contributed 36 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists.
The Mavericks evened the season series at one with a 120-112 win in their most recent contest. In the victory, Doncic led all scorers with 35 points. Getting to the free throw line was one of Dallas’ largest strengths. They had 28 free throw attempts, while Portland had 22. Dallas covered as an 8-point favorite and the two teams combined for 232 points, which was just over the projected point total of 228.
Vegas has a tendency to place the total low when the Mavericks are involved, as 26 of their 43 contests have ended over the projected point total. Dallas comes into the contest with records of 27-16 straight up (SU) and 25-18 against the spread (ATS).
A little over half of Trail Blazers games have finished over the total. Moreover, Portland owns records of 19-26 SU and 16-27-2 ATS.
The Mavericks’ Tim Hardaway Jr. has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 19 points,5.8 rebounds per game. Meanwhile, Lillard has averaged 30 points,7.4 assists during that same time frame for the Trail Blazers.
Portland could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. Portland ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while Dallas forces the fewest turnovers (11.6 percent). Also, the Mavericks’ top-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 114.8) will try to exploit the Trail Blazers’ 22nd-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 110.0).
Mavericks at Trail Blazers Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Trail Blazers rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the Mavericks rank seventh (15.2).
- Dallas ranks first in second chance points per game (15.0) while Portland ranks last in second chance points allowed per game (15.6).
- The Mavericks rank first in blocks allowed per game (3.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 18th (5.2).
- Dallas ranks 15th in assists per game (24.2) while Portland ranks last (19.7).
- Dallas ranks 23rd in points in the paint per game (45.2) while Portland ranks 28th (43.5).
- The Mavericks rank fourth in rebounds per game (47.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th in rebounds allowed per game (48.5).
- The Trail Blazers average 12.8 fast break points per game, which ranks 14th in the league. The Mavericks rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (16.3).
- Dallas ranks 28th in steals per game (6.3) while Portland ranks last (5.9).
- Dallas ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (41.0) while Portland ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (34.8).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Portland is 4-0 and Dallas is 7-0.
- The Trail Blazers are 19-20 when they score over 100 points, while the Mavericks are 27-14.
- Portland is 6-13-1 ATS at home, while Dallas is 15-4 ATS on the road.
- Of the Mavericks’ 19 road games, they have 12 overs and 7 unders.
- The Trail Blazers have 12 overs and 8 unders in 20 home games.
- The Mavericks are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Dallas has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Portland has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 117.4 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (2.8 below their season average).
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 2.2 for the season.