The Phoenix Suns (17-34), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Dallas Mavericks (16-35) to Talking Stick Resort Arena. Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 31, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Dallas Mavericks at Phoenix Suns Free Preview
The Mavericks fell to the Miami Heat in their last contest, 95-88. Wesley Matthews had a good game for Dallas, putting up 19 points and seven rebounds. Miami held the Mavericks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.430 (below their season average of 0.517). Dallas, on the other hand, forced the Heat into a turnover percentage of 16.1 (above the 12.8 mark opponents have averaged against Dallas this season).
The last time the Suns played, they were beaten by the Memphis Grizzlies, 120-109. T.J. Warren led Phoenix in scoring with 24 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Memphis had an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.502). Phoenix, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (26-36; 72.2 percent).
It will be a battle of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Suns will look to push the more methodical Mavericks. The Suns rank fourth in possessions per game while the Mavericks are 26th. Ball protection should be an advantage for the Mavericks. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.1 percent). Conversely, the Suns force the third-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents turnover percentage of 13.0 percent).
Of Dallas 51 games, 29 have finished under the O/U total, while 26 of Phoenix’s 51 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Mavericks are 16-35 SU and 25-26 ATS, while the Suns are 17-34 SU and 24-25-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 188 points, well under the projected point total of 209.5. The Suns won 97-91, covering as 8-point underdogs. The Suns played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.506 and a free throw rate of 0.215. The Mavericks put up marks of 0.426 and 0.182, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Harrison Barnes was the games leading scorer with 26 points.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Phoenix Suns Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Suns rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.2) while the Mavericks rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.7).
- Dallas ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (31.8) while Phoenix ranks 19th (27.6).
- Dallas ranks ninth in steals allowed per game (7.3) while Phoenix ranks 27th (8.8).
- Dallas ranks 19th in assists per game (22.2) while Phoenix ranks 26th (21.0).
- Dallas is 13-10 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 9-15-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Suns 25 home games, while 12 of the Mavericks 23 road games have gone under.
- Dallas is 12-10 when they allow below 100 points, while Phoenix is 5-2.
- When reaching the century mark, the Mavericks are 10-15 and the Suns are 13-21.
- The Mavericks rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.6) while the Suns rank 26th (5.4).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.9) while Phoenix ranks 27th (47.5).
- The Mavericks rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.6) while the Suns rank 27th (19.0).
- The Suns rank 11th in rebounds per game (44.2) while the Mavericks rank 26th (40.6).
- Phoenix ranks eighth in second chance points per game (13.3) while Dallas ranks 29th (9.6).
- Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 2-3 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.6, up from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 93.0 points per game (8.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 94.4 points per game (9.3 below their season average).