The Chicago Bulls (20-41), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Dallas Mavericks (19-43) to United Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 211.5 points with Dallas set as a 1-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, March 2, 2018, and it can be seen on WGN Channel 9.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Chicago Bulls ATS Preview
The Mavericks lost a close one to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last outing, 111-110. Harrison Barnes had a solid performance for Dallas, leading the team in scoring with 26 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.4 (above their season average of 28.1). Dallas, meanwhile, forced the Thunder into a turnover percentage of 17.8 (above their season average of 12.0).
The last time the Bulls played, they were beaten by the Charlotte Hornets, 118-103. With 12 points and 10 rebounds, Bobby Portis had a good performance for Chicago. Charlotte forced the Bulls into a turnover percentage of 18.1 (above their season average of 11.7). Chicago, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.5 (above their season average of 19.7).
It will be a matchup of conflicting styles as the up-and-down Bulls (ranked seventh in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the more methodical Mavericks (24th in possessions per game). The Mavericks should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 2nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while the Bulls force the first-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 12.4 percent).
Of Dallas’ 62 games, 33 have finished under the projected point total, while 33 of Chicago’s 61 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Mavericks are 19-43 SU and 32-30 ATS, while the Bulls are 20-41 SU and 30-28-3 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Mavericks, it’s been J.J. Barea, who has averaged 15.4 points and 9.8 assists, while the Bulls have gotten solid contributions from Portis (20.4 points and 6.2 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 251 points, well over the projected point total of 211.5. The Bulls won 127-124, covering as 4-point underdogs. The Bulls dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.321 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.9. The Mavericks were 0.130 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats. Kris Dunn scored a game-high 32 points.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Chicago Bulls Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks rank 13th in assists allowed per game (23.0) while the Bulls rank 28th (25.5).
- Chicago ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Dallas ranks 10th (7.4).
- Chicago ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (11.7) while Dallas ranks 27th (14.0).
- Chicago ranks 27th in blocks per game (3.8) while Dallas ranks 28th (3.8).
- Dallas is 17-13 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 15-13-2 ATS at home.
- Of the Mavericks’ 30 road games, they have 16 unders and 14 overs.
- In 30 home games, the Bulls have 16 unders and 14 overs.
- Chicago is 6-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Dallas is 13-11.
- The Mavericks are 13-20 when they reach 100 points, while the Bulls are 18-20.
- The Mavericks rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.9) while the Bulls rank 13th (16.0).
- Dallas averages 32.7 three pointers per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Chicago ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (31.5).
- The Bulls rank seventh in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Mavericks rank 28th (40.5).
- The Bulls rank 23rd in second chance points per game (10.7) while the Mavericks rank 29th (10.1).
- Dallas ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.1) while Chicago ranks 17th (45.0).
- Chicago is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Bulls’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 15.0, up from 6.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 104.0 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (5.1 above their season average).