The Dallas Mavericks (9-24) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they meet the Atlanta Hawks (7-25) at Philips Arena. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Atlanta Hawks ATS Preview
In the Mavericks last outing, they fell to the Miami Heat, 113-101. With 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting, Yogi Ferrell led Dallas in scoring. Miami made 16 of their 25 three pointers (64.0 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (8-11; 72.7 percent).
The Hawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 120-117 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last matchup. Marco Belinelli led Atlanta in scoring with 27 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.9 (above their season average of 26.8). Atlanta, on the other hand, forced the Thunder into a turnover percentage of 16.6 (above their season average of 12.9).
It could be a tough game for Atlanta on the offensive glass. The Hawks are among the leagues elite on the offensive glass, ranking 20th in offensive rebounding percentage at 21.3 percent. Meanwhile, Dallas ranks fourth in the NBA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 79.9 percent. Additionally, the Mavericks rank fourth in turnover percentage (13.1 percent), while the Hawks rank second in opponents turnover percentage (16.3 percent).
Of Dallas 32 games that accepted bets, 18 have finished under the projected point total, while 16 of Atlanta’s 31 games have finished over the O/U total. The Mavericks have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (9-24 vs. 7-25), but the Hawks have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (16-14-1 vs. 15-17).
Ferrell has been exceptional over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 14.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 228 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 199. The Hawks won 117-111, covering as 6-point underdogs. The Hawks played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.4 and a turnover percentage of 11.4. The Mavericks put up marks of 20.0 and 13.6, respectively, for those same stats. Nerlens Noel finished with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Dallas Mavericks at Atlanta Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Hawks rank fifth in steals per game (8.7) while the Mavericks rank 25th (6.7).
- Atlanta ranks 19th in fast break points allowed per game (11.3) while Dallas ranks last (14.6).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.3) while Atlanta ranks 17th (44.3).
- Dallas ranks 25th in rebounds per game (40.8) while Atlanta ranks 29th (39.4).
- Dallas is 7-7 ATS on the road with 9 unders and 5 overs.
- At home, Atlanta is 7-8 ATS with 9 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Dallas is 8-8 and Atlanta is 1-3.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Mavericks are 6-9 and the Hawks are 7-14.
- The Hawks rank fifth in assists per game (23.9) while the Mavericks rank 21st (21.6).
- Dallas ranks sixth in second chance points allowed per game (10.8) while Atlanta ranks 29th (14.3).
- The Hawks rank eighth in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while the Mavericks rank last (13.1).
- The Hawks rank 24th in blocks per game (4.0) while the Mavericks rank 28th (3.6).
- Dallas ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (31.9) while Atlanta ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (31.5).
- Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 99.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average).