The Portland Trail Blazers (24-21) can continue a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Dallas Mavericks (15-30) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 209 points with Portland opening as a 5-point favorite. Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Preview
In the Mavericks last contest, they lost a close one to the Denver Nuggets, 105-102. With 25 points on 11-for-18 shooting, Dennis Smith Jr. was Dallas leading scorer. Denver had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 26.5). Dallas, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (18-22; 81.8 percent).
The Trail Blazers hope to maintain momentum after topping the Indiana Pacers in their last game, 100-86. Portland was lifted by Jusuf Nurkic, who put up 19 points and 17 rebounds. Portland played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.170 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.0 (above their season average of 22.8). For those same stats, Indiana recorded marks of 0.077 and 18.9, respectively.
Dallas could put on a ball-control clinic in this matchup. Dallas ranks first in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent), while Portland forces the third-fewest turnovers (13.2 percent).
Of Dallas 45 games, 24 have finished under the O/U total, while 27 of Portland’s 45 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trail Blazers have the better straight up (SU) record (24-21 vs. 15-30), but the Mavericks hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (23-22 vs. 20-21-4).
Smith Jr. has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 16.8 points, 4.8 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. The Trail Blazers won the last game 114-113. Portland won the rebounding battle. The Trail Blazers had 18 offensive rebounds and 55 total rebounds, while the Mavericks had two and 30, respectively.
Dallas Mavericks at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 12th in second chance points per game (12.8) while the Mavericks rank last (9.3).
- Portland ranks 22nd in points in the paint per game (42.0) while Dallas ranks last (38.8).
- Portland ranks ninth in rebounds per game (44.6) while Dallas ranks 26th (40.2).
- Portland ranks 25th in steals per game (6.9) while Dallas ranks 26th (6.7).
- On the road, Dallas is 12-9 ATS with 11 unders and 10 overs.
- Portland is 7-12-3 ATS at home with 15 unders and 7 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Portland is 15-4 and Dallas is 11-8.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Mavericks are 10-14 and the Trail Blazers are 19-11.
- The Mavericks rank 14th in assists per game (22.5) while the Trail Blazers rank last (19.0).
- Portland ranks sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while Dallas ranks 29th (3.7).
- The Trail Blazers rank sixth in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while the Mavericks rank 27th (14.4).
- The Mavericks rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 10th (15.6).
- Dallas ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.0) while Portland ranks 23rd (25.9).
- Portland is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 1.0 point.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.4 points per game (0.1 below their season average).