The Dallas Mavericks (9-23) can snap a six-game road losing streak when they challenge the Miami Heat (16-15) at AmericanAirlines Arena. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Dallas Mavericks at Miami Heat Free Preview
The Mavericks were victorious over the Detroit Pistons in their last matchup, 110-93. Harrison Barnes was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Dallas made 14 of their 30 three pointers (46.7 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, was 7-24 (29.2 percent).
In the Heat’s last game, they beat the Boston Celtics, 90-89. With 32 points on 12-for-15 shooting, Kelly Olynyk was Miami’s leading scorer. The Heat held the Celtics to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.1 (below their season average of 21.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.456 (below their season average of 0.523).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Miami currently ranks 24th in possessions per game (97.2) and Dallas is 23rd (97.3).
Games including these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Dallas games have gone under 56.3 percent of the time, while Miami games have finished under 61.3 percent of the time. The Heat have the better straight up (SU) record (16-15 vs. 9-23), but the Mavericks hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (15-17 vs. 12-17-2).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Mavericks, it’s been Yogi Ferrell, who has averaged 13.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.2 assists, while the Heat have gotten solid contributions from Josh Richardson (18.6 points, 1.8 steals and 1.4 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, the Mavericks won 96-89. Dallas did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (21-23; 91.3 percent). Miami, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (29.5 vs. 25.6).
Dallas Mavericks at Miami Heat Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.4) while the Heat rank 15th (43.6).
- Miami ranks 18th in steals per game (7.5) while Dallas ranks 27th (6.8).
- Miami ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (43.0) while Dallas ranks 25th (45.8).
- Dallas is 28th in the NBA with 9.7 second chance points per game while Miami is last with 9.2 second chance points per game.
- On the road, Dallas is 7-7 ATS with 9 unders and 5 overs.
- Miami is 2-9-2 ATS at home with 7 unders, 5 overs and 1 push.
- When allowing under 100 points, Miami is 12-3 and Dallas is 8-8.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Mavericks are 6-8 and the Heat are 11-6.
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (20.0) while the Mavericks rank 14th (22.1).
- Miami ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.0) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.9).
- The Heat rank ninth in blocks per game (5.1) while the Mavericks rank 27th (3.7).
- The Heat rank 21st in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while the Mavericks rank last (13.3).
- Miami ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.1) while Dallas ranks 16th (28.9).
- Miami is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Heat’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 97.8 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 97.8 points per game (4.8 below their season average).