The Golden State Warriors (41-13), the NBA’s top scoring team, will square off with the Dallas Mavericks (17-37) at ORACLE Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Golden State Warriors ATS Preview
In the Mavericks’ last matchup, they lost a close one to the Los Angeles Clippers, 104-101. Dallas’ Wesley Matthews put together a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Los Angeles forced the Mavericks into a turnover percentage of 18.4 (above their season average of 11.2). Dallas, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (18-20; 90.0 percent).
The Warriors are trying to rebound after their 125-105 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last contest. Kevin Durant was Golden State’s leading scorer with 33 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Oklahoma City forced the Warriors into a turnover percentage of 21.6 (above their season average of 14.0). Golden State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.8 (above their season average of 21.3).
It will be a matchup of opposite paces as the fast-breaking Warriors will look to push the slower-paced Mavericks. The Warriors currently rank fourth in possessions per game while the Mavericks are 26th. Ball protection should be an advantage for the Mavericks. They rank 2nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent), while the Warriors force the fifth-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 13.1 percent).
Of Dallas’ 54 games, 31 have finished under the O/U total, while 28 of Golden State’s 54 games have finished over the O/U total. The Warriors have the superior straight up (SU) record (41-13 vs. 17-37), but the Mavericks hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (27-27 vs. 22-30-2).
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Warriors winning all three. Durant had 25 points, 12 rebounds and six assists in the most recent contest, in which the Warriors defeated the Mavericks 125-122 but could not cover as 8.5-point favorites. The two teams combined for 247 points, which was 26.5 points above the projected point total of 220.5 points. Golden State had a better offensive rebounding percentage (17.5 vs. 15.2). Dallas, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (10.7 vs. 12.4).
Dallas Mavericks vs. Golden State Warriors Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.9) while the Warriors rank 25th (18.6).
- Dallas ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (7.5) while Golden State ranks 28th (9.0).
- Golden State averages 20.7 fast break points per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Dallas ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.6).
- Dallas averages 32.3 three pointers per game, which ranks fourth in the league. Golden State ranks 13th in three pointers allowed per game (28.9).
- Dallas is 15-11 ATS on the road with 14 unders and 12 overs.
- Golden State is 9-15-2 ATS at home with 13 overs and 13 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Golden State is 11-2 and Dallas is 13-10.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Mavericks are 11-16 and the Warriors are 38-9.
- The Warriors rank first in assists per game (30.3) while the Mavericks rank 20th (22.2).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks per game (7.9) while Dallas ranks 28th (3.7).
- The Mavericks rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (40.1) while the Warriors rank 26th (47.4).
- The Warriors rank 12th in rebounds per game (44.2) while the Mavericks rank 27th (40.6).
- Dallas ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while Golden State ranks 28th (13.7).
- Golden State is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Warriors have been outscored by an average of 7.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Golden State has defeated opponents by an average of 7.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 94.4 points per game (7.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 98.2 points per game (5.4 below their season average).