The league’s top team will be at home when the Boston Celtics (21-4) welcome the Dallas Mavericks (7-17) to TD Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 203.5 points with Boston set as an 8.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southwest.
Dallas Mavericks at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
The Mavericks beat the Denver Nuggets in their last game, 122-105. Harrison Barnes led Dallas in scoring with 22 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Dallas effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Denver. The Mavericks had a rate of 0.640 (above their season average of 0.501), while the Nuggets posted a mark of 0.495.
In the Celtics last matchup, they topped the Milwaukee Bucks, 111-100. With 32 points on 13-for-24 shooting, Kyrie Irving led Boston in scoring. The Celtics held the Bucks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.5 (below their season average of 17.8) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.615 (above their season average of 0.515).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Boston currently ranks 25th in possessions per game (98.0) and Dallas is 22nd (98.6). Additionally, the Mavericks 26th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 102.2) will face a difficult test against the Celtics top-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 99.4).
Of Dallas 24 games, 12 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of Boston’s 25 games have finished over the projected point total. The Celtics hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 21-4 SU and 19-5-1 ATS, while the Mavericks are 7-17 SU and 10-14 ATS.
Al Horford has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 14.4 points, 7.0 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 212 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 200.5. The Celtics won 110-102, covering as 6.5-point favorites. Boston did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (21-26; 80.8 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (9.5 vs. 15.1). Irving scored a game-high 47 points.
Dallas Mavericks at Boston Celtics Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.3) while the Celtics rank 15th (43.2).
- Boston ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.2) while Dallas ranks ninth (15.7).
- Boston averages 30.5 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. Dallas ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Boston ranks 20th in blocks per game (4.4) while Dallas ranks 25th (3.6).
- Dallas is 4-5 ATS on the road, while Boston is 9-3-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Celtics 13 home games, while 5 of the Mavericks 9 road games have gone under.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Dallas is 6-4 and Boston is 15-0.
- The Celtics are 16-2 when they score above 100 points, while the Mavericks are 5-7.
- The Celtics rank fifth in assists allowed per game (20.9) while the Mavericks rank 13th (22.5).
- Boston ranks sixth in fast break points allowed per game (9.0) while Dallas ranks 28th (14.1).
- The Celtics rank first in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Mavericks rank 20th (8.4).
- The Celtics rank 19th in second chance points per game (11.9) while the Mavericks rank 25th (10.3).
- Boston ranks ninth in rebounds per game (45.0) while Dallas ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (46.2).
- Boston is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (7.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.4 points per game (5.4 below their season average).