The UC Riverside Highlanders (5-13, 0-4 BigWst), who are currently riding a six-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the CSUN Matadors (3-14, 0-3 BigWst) to Student Recreation Center. UC Riverside opened as a 9-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 132 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
CSUN Matadors vs. UC Riverside Highlanders Betting Preview
The Matadors were beaten by the UC Irvine Anteaters in their last outing, 71-54. With 14 points on 6-for-19 shooting, Tavrion Dawson led CSUN in scoring. UC Irvine had an offensive rebounding percentage of 46.9 (above their season average of 33.9). CSUN, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (15-15; 100.0 percent).
The last time the Highlanders played, they were beaten by the Long Beach State 49ers, 75-68. Alex Larsson was UC Riverside’s leading scorer with 10 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Long Beach State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 56.1 (above their season average of 30.1). UC Riverside, on the other hand, forced the 49ers into a turnover percentage of 24.9 (above their season average of 19.0).
When considering effective field goal percentage, UC Riverside figures to have a considerable edge. The Highlanders defense ranks 59th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.471), while the CSUN offense is ranked 296th in effective field goal percentage (0.481).
Both of these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Games featuring CSUN have gone under 64.3 percent of the time, while 69.2 percent of UC Riverside games have finished under. The Highlanders come into this game with a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 5-13 SU and 6-7 ATS, while the Matadors are 3-14 SU and 3-10-1 ATS.
Dawson has really been playing well over the last five games for CSUN, averaging 17.0 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Matadors won both meetings last season. In the last matchup, CSUN won 63-59. The Matadors played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.393 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8. The Highlanders were 0.246 and 19.5, respectively, for those same stats.
CSUN Matadors vs. UC Riverside Highlanders Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UC Riverside, ATS Winner – CSUN, O/U – Under
- The Highlanders rank 99th in blocks per game (3.5) while the Matadors rank 138th in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- CSUN is 3-6-1 ATS on the road, while UC Riverside is 3-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Matadors 10 road games, while 4 of the Highlanders 6 home games have gone under.
- CSUN ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (18.4) while UC Riverside ranks 195th (23.8).
- The Highlanders rank 144th in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Matadors rank 255th (32.2).
- UC Riverside ranks 163rd in assists per game (13.2) while CSUN ranks 225th (11.6).
- UC Riverside is 2-2 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, CSUN is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Highlanders average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Matadors have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (2.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.6 points per game (3.6 below their season average).