The No. 1 Villanova Wildcats (20-1, 7-1 Big East) and the Creighton Bluejays (17-5, 7-3 Big East) go head-to-head at Wells Fargo Center. The Wildcats will attempt to prolong their seven-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 164 points with Villanova opening as a 12.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018.
Creighton Bluejays vs. Villanova Wildcats Betting Preview
In the Bluejays’ last contest, they beat the Georgetown Hoyas, 85-77. Marcus Foster was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Creighton dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.0 (worse than their season average of 14.2) and a free throw rate of 0.412 (above their season average of 0.206). For those same stats, Georgetown put up marks of 21.4 and 0.291, respectively.
The Wildcats come in on a high note after narrowly defeating the Marquette Golden Eagles in their last game, 85-82. Villanova received a boost from Jalen Brunson, who was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 10-for-21 shooting. Villanova dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.317 (above their season average of 0.230) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 (above their season average of 29.8). For those same stats, Marquette was 0.148 and 32.3, respectively.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the NCAA’s top offenses battle. Villanova currently ranks first with 125.4 points per 100 possessions and Creighton is 19th (116.9). Also, the Bluejays rank 270th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.213), while the Wildcats rank 10th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.168).
Of Creighton’s 21 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished over the O/U total, while 12 of Villanova’s 20 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a sizable advantage. They are 20-1 SU and 14-7 ATS, while the Bluejays are 17-5 SU and 12-9 ATS.
Donte DiVincenzo has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Villanova, averaging 15.4 points and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Wildcats won all three contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Villanova won 74-60. The Wildcats played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.278 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.546. The Bluejays put up marks of 0.103 and 0.466, respectively, for those same stats.
Creighton Bluejays vs. Villanova Wildcats Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Villanova, ATS Winner – Creighton, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Bluejays rank 69th (3.0).
- Creighton ranks 71st in rebounds per game (37.7) while Villanova ranks 73rd in rebounds allowed per game (33.1).
- On the road, Creighton is 4-5 ATS with 5 overs and 4 unders.
- Villanova is 4-3 ATS at home with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- Villanova averages 27.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. Creighton ranks 181st in three pointers allowed per game (22.9).
- The Bluejays average 18.5 assists per game, which ranks sixth in the nation. The Wildcats rank 156th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Villanova ranks 14th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Creighton ranks 136th (6.6).
- Villanova is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Creighton is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wildcats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.4, down from 18.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bluejays have scored an average of 74.8 points per game (11.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.0 points per game (3.1 above their season average).