The Coppin State Eagles (4-21, 4-6 MEAC) can snap an 18-game road losing streak when they clash against the South Carolina State Bulldogs (8-16, 4-5 MEAC) at Smith-Hammond-Middleton Center. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018.
Coppin State Eagles at South Carolina State Bulldogs Betting Preview
The Eagles were blown out by the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats in their last game, 80-60. Coppin State’s Karonn Davis contributed 14 points and eight assists in the game. Bethune-Cookman had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 34.2). Coppin State, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.164 vs. 0.063).
In the Bulldogs last game, they were dismantled by the Savannah State Tigers, 111-99. Patrell Rogers was the games leading scorer with 26 points on 12-for-24 shooting. Savannah State had a better turnover percentage (12.4 vs. 15.5). South Carolina State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 30.3).
This contest should be a matchup of conflicting styles. South Carolina State has preferred to play quickly (33rd in possessions per game), while Coppin State has been more methodical (197th in possessions per game).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Eagles, it’s been Davis, who has averaged 16.4 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Bulldogs have gotten great contributions from Damani Applewhite (15.0 points and 9.0 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. The Eagles won 73-65. Coppin State’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over South Carolina State. The Eagles had a rate of 0.333, while the Bulldogs posted a mark of 0.174. Lamar Morgan put up a double-double in the victory with 28 points and 10 rebounds.
Coppin State Eagles vs. South Carolina State Bulldogs Betting Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Coppin State, ATS Winner – Coppin State, O/U – Over
- The Eagles rank 160th in blocks per game (2.7) while the Bulldogs rank 166th in blocks allowed per game (4.3).
- Coppin State averages 26.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. South Carolina State ranks 231st in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- The Bulldogs rank 156th in rebounds per game (35.3) while the Eagles rank 285th in rebounds allowed per game (42.4).
- Coppin State ranks 203rd in assists allowed per game (14.5) while South Carolina State ranks 252nd (15.9).
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 11.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 68.6 points per game (9.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (3.9 below their season average).