The Tulsa Golden Hurricane (9-5, 2-0 AAC) will try to prolong a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Connecticut Huskies (7-6, 0-1 AAC) at Donald Reynolds Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 138 points with Tulsa set as a 4-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Preview
The Huskies fell to the No. 8 Wichita State Shockers in their last matchup, 72-62. With 18 points on 7-for-20 shooting, Jalen Adams was the top scorer from either team. Wichita State held the Huskies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.1 (below their season average of 31.0). Connecticut, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (11-13; 84.6 percent).
In the Golden Hurricane’s last game, they topped the Tulane Green Wave, 65-56. Tulsa rallied around Martins Igbanu, who was the teams leading scorer with 15 points on 7-for-12 shooting. The Golden Hurricane, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.5, had an absurd mark of 39.0, while the Green Wave had a free throw rate of 0.119 (below their season average of 0.260).
Tulsa figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Golden Hurricane rank 96th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.479), while Connecticut is 336th in effective field goal percentage (0.452).
Of Connecticut’s 9 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Tulsa’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. The Golden Hurricane come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-5 SU and 8-3 ATS, while the Huskies are 7-6 SU and 3-7 ATS.
Junior Etou has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Tulsa, averaging 20.6 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Golden Hurricane won the lone contest last season, 61-59. The Golden Hurricane dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.197 and a turnover percentage of 14.0. For those same stats, the Huskies put up marks of 0.123 and 21.6, respectively.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Tulsa, ATS Winner – Tulsa, O/U – Over
- The Golden Hurricane rank 199th in assists per game (12.2) while the Huskies rank 244th (9.3).
- Connecticut ranks 88th in blocks per game (3.7) while Tulsa ranks 94th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- On the road, Connecticut is 2-4 ATS with 3 overs and 3 unders.
- Tulsa is 3-1 ATS at home with 3 overs and 1 under.
- Tulsa averages 39.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 55th in the NCAA. Connecticut ranks 173rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- The Huskies average 20.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 190th in the NCAA. The Golden Hurricane rank 258th in three pointers allowed per game (26.9).
- Connecticut ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Tulsa ranks 90th (6.2).
- Tulsa is 4-0 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Connecticut is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Hurricane’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 63.8 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (matching their season average).