AAC foes will clash when the Memphis Tigers (12-6, 3-2 AAC) square off against the Connecticut Huskies (10-7, 3-2 AAC) at FedExForum. Memphis opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 134.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Memphis Tigers Betting Preview
In the Huskies last game, they were victorious over the Tulane Green Wave, 67-57. Jalen Adams was the games high scorer with 25 points on 10-for-16 shooting. Connecticut played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 (above their season average of 30.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.546 (above their season average of 0.456). For those same stats, Tulane was 20.0 and 0.471, respectively.
The Tigers will look to maintain momentum after edging the Temple Owls in their last contest, 75-72. With 26 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Jeremiah Martin was the games high scorer. Memphis played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.180 (below their season average of 0.306) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.525 (above their season average of 0.493). For those same stats, Temple recorded marks of 0.105 and 0.421, respectively.
Memphis appears to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this contest. The Tigers rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (35.2 percent), while Connecticut ranks 146th in defensive rebounding percentage (72.1 percent).
Of Connecticut’s 13 games with betting action, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of Memphis 15 games have finished under the projected point total. The Tigers have the superior straight up (SU) record (12-6 vs. 10-7), but the Huskies have been superior against the spread (ATS) (6-8 vs. 6-8-1).
Adams has really been playing well over the last five games for Connecticut, averaging 18.4 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Huskies won the most recent matchup 65-62. Connecticut had a much better turnover percentage (11.4 vs. 22.5). Memphis, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (14-17; 82.4 percent).
Connecticut Huskies vs. Memphis Tigers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Connecticut, ATS Winner – Connecticut, O/U – Under
- The Huskies average 19.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 201st in the nation. The Tigers rank 222nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- Connecticut averages 37.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. Memphis ranks 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- On the road, Connecticut is 4-4 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Memphis is 4-4-1 ATS at home with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- Connecticut ranks 40th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Memphis ranks 152nd (7.2).
- The Tigers rank 165th in assists per game (13.2) while the Huskies rank 251st (9.6).
- Connecticut ranks 78th in blocks per game (3.9) while Memphis ranks 126th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Memphis is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Connecticut is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 69.8 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (4.0 below their season average).