AAC foes will clash when the Temple Owls (10-10, 2-6 AAC) meet the Connecticut Huskies (11-9, 4-3 AAC) at Liacouras Center. Temple opened as a 6-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 128.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Connecticut Huskies at Temple Owls Free Preview
In the Huskies last outing, they defeated the SMU Mustangs, 63-52. Christian Vital was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Connecticut dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.455) and a free throw rate of 0.235 (matching their season average). SMU was 0.342 and 0.228, respectively, for those same stats.
The Owls are trying to rebound after their 75-42 loss to the No. 12 Cincinnati Bearcats in their last contest. With seven points and five rebounds, Temple’s Ernest Aflakpui played well. Cincinnati’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Temple. The Bearcats had a rate of 15.3 (worse than their season average of 15.1), while the Owls posted a mark of 24.1 (above their season average of 14.5).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Connecticut games have gone under 56.3 percent of the time, while 55.0 percent of Temple games have finished under. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (11-9 for Connecticut; 10-10 for Temple), but the Owls have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Temple is 9-11 ATS, while the Huskies are 7-10.
Vital has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Connecticut, averaging 15.2 points and 3.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Huskies won both matchups played against each other last season. In the last game, Connecticut won 64-63. The Huskies dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.6 and a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.551. The Owls had marks of 25.0 and 0.510, respectively, for those same stats.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Temple Owls ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Connecticut, ATS Winner – Connecticut, O/U – Under
- The Huskies rank 49th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Owls rank 91st (6.0).
- Connecticut ranks 77th in blocks per game (4.0) while Temple ranks 102nd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- On the road, Connecticut is 4-5 ATS with 5 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Temple is 2-6 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Temple ranks 104th in three pointers allowed per game (21.0) while Connecticut ranks 246th (25.1).
- The Huskies average 36.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 111th in the NCAA. The Owls rank 232nd in rebounds allowed per game (38.0).
- Temple ranks 225th in assists per game (12.0) while Connecticut ranks 268th (9.8).
- Temple is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Connecticut is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Owls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 60.4 points per game (7.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.2 points per game (7.8 below their season average).