The Connecticut Huskies (7-3) will attempt to snap the six-game winning streak of Arizona when they head to McKale Memorial Center to clash with the No. 18 Wildcats (9-3). Arizona is a 15-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145.5 points. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Connecticut Huskies at Arizona Wildcats ATS Preview
In the Huskies last outing, they beat the Coppin State Eagles, 72-59. Jalen Adams led Connecticut in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-18 shooting. Connecticut dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 28.2) and a turnover percentage of 17.0 (worse than their season average of 15.8). Coppin State was 14.7 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Wildcats come in on a high note after blowing out the North Dakota State Bison in their last matchup, 83-53. Arizona was lifted by Deandre Ayton, who was the games leading scorer with 25 points on 11-for-17 shooting. Arizona played a flawless game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 6.5 (better than their season average of 15.6) and a free throw rate of 0.182 (matching their season average). For those same stats, North Dakota State was 18.2 and 0.093, respectively.
The high-powered offense of Arizona will clash against the mid-tier defense of Connecticut. The Wildcats rank 14th in offensive efficiency, while the Huskies are 153rd in defensive efficiency. The Wildcats should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Games featuring these teams have typically finished over the projected point total. Connecticut games have finished over 66.7 percent of the time, while Arizona games have gone over 58.3 percent of the time. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (7-3 for Connecticut; 9-3 for Arizona), but the Wildcats have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Arizona is 5-7 ATS, while the Huskies are 1-6.
Connecticut Huskies vs. Arizona Wildcats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Arizona, ATS Winner – Connecticut, O/U – Under
- The Huskies rank 36th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Wildcats rank 84th (6.2).
- Connecticut ranks 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Arizona ranks 64th (3.0).
- Arizona ranks 64th in assists per game (15.8) while Connecticut ranks 238th (10.0).
- The Wildcats rank eighth in rebounds allowed per game (29.8) while the Huskies rank 146th (35.3).
- Connecticut ranks 147th in three pointers attempted per game (22.1) while Arizona ranks 231st (18.5).
- The Wildcats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.6, down from 12.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Huskies have scored an average of 72.6 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.4 points per game (5.9 above their season average).