Capital One Arena will be the site for a divisional matchup as the Washington Capitals welcome the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets. Fox Sports Ohio will showcase the game, which gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 2.
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Washington Capitals Odds
Columbus is 17-9 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 5.0 units this season. 15 of its contests have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and none have pushed. The Jackets are 7-5 SU as the road team in 2017-18.
Columbus has converted on just 9.2 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom- overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, it has the third-best penalty kill in the league, and it’s successfully killed off 84.8 percent of all penalties.
Columbus, as a collective unit, has been whistled for penalties just 2.8 times per game this season, and 2.1 per game over its last ten games. The team has had to kill penalties just 4.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
With a .935 save percentage and 28.1 saves per game, Sergei Bobrovsky (14-6-1) has been the best option in goal for Columbus this year. If Columbus chooses to rest him, however, head coach John Tortorella may turn to Joonas Korpisalo (3-3), who has a .907 save percentage and 2.81 goals against average this year.
Artemi Panarin and Josh Anderson will both be relied on to facilitate things for the visiting Blue Jackets. Panarin has 19 points on six goals and 13 assists, and has recorded multiple points two times. Anderson has 10 goals and seven assists to his nameand has logged a point in 13 games.
Washington is 14-12 straight up (SU) and has lost 0.0 units for moneyline bettors this year. 14 of its outings have gone over the total, while 12 have gone under and none have pushed. This year, the team is 8-5 SU at home.
Washington has converted on 20.2 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 22nd overall, and it’s successfully killed off 77.8 percent of all opponent power plays.
Washington players have been penalized 4.6 times per game in total this season, and 3.0 per game over their past five match ups. The teams had to kill penalties just 8.8 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Braden Holtby has stopped 28.7 shots per game as the primary selection in goal for Washington. Holtby has 13 wins and six losses to his credit and has registered a .919 save percentage and 2.61 goals against average this year.
The Caps offense will be led by Evgeny Kuznetsov (eight goals, 20 assists).
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Washington Capitals Betting Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Blue Jackets, O/U – Over
- The total has gone over in three of Washington’s last five outings.
- Columbus has attempted 34.8 shots per contest overall this season (the second-most in the NHL), and 33.4 in its last 10 outings.
- The extra-man advantage may be extremely important in tonight’s game. The Blue Jackets are 8-5 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 13-7 in games where they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes. The Capitals are 5-1 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 8-3 when their penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- Two of Columbus last ten games have ended in a shootout. The team is 2-0 in those games and 3-1 overall in shootouts this season.
- Washington has averaged 6.5 takeaways per game (ranked 21st overall).
- Columbus is ranked 16th with 7.5 takeaways per game. That figure has trended down, however, as it has created 6.1 takeaways over its last 10 games and 5.6 takeaways over its last five.