Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Edmonton Oilers Matchup Preview 3/21/19

Posts AdminArticles, Hockey, NHL

Rogers Place is the site for an intriguing matchup as the Edmonton Oilers face off against the visiting Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s the final time that these two clubs will go at it in the regular season. Sportsnet ONE will broadcast this East-West matchup, and the puck drops at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, March 21.

Columbus Blue Jackets at Edmonton Oilers Odds

Columbus (-135) is tabbed as the favorite over Edmonton (+115) and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at an even 6 goals (-120 to bet the over, +100 for the under).

Columbus is 40-33 straight up (SU) and has lost 2.6 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 73 regular season outings, 40 of its games have gone under the total, while 27 have gone over and just six have pushed. This 2018-19 Blue Jackets team is 20-15 SU on the road.

Columbus has converted on just 15.3 percent of its power play chances this season, a mark that’s ranked 27th in the NHL. On the other hand, it has the third-best penalty kill in the league, and it’s successfully killed off 84.7 percent of its penalties.

For the team as a whole, Columbus has been whistled for penalties just 3.0 times per game overall this season, 2.6 per game over its last five outings total, and 3.0 per game over its last five road outings. The team’s had to kill penalties just 7.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.

With a .909 save percentage and 25.9 saves per game, Sergei Bobrovsky (31-24-1) has been the best option in goal for Columbus this season. If head coach John Tortorella decides to rest him, however, the team may go with Joonas Korpisalo (9-15-3), who has a .901 save percentage and 2.91 goals against average this year.

Artemi Panarin and Matt Duchene will both lead the way for the visiting Blue Jackets. Panarin has 76 points on 25 goals and 51 assists, and has recorded two or more points in 23 different games. Duchene has 30 goals and 34 assists to his credit (and has notched at least one point in 40 games).

On the other side of the ice, Edmonton is 32-41 straight up (SU) and has lost 11.6 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 35 of its games have gone under the total, while 33 have gone over and just five have pushed. It’s 16-19 SU at home this season.

Edmonton has converted on 21.0 percent of its power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 31st overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.3 percent of all opponent power plays.

Edmonton skaters have been sent to the penalty box 3.8 times per game this season, and 5.2 per game over their last five outings. The team’s had to kill penalties a whopping 16.6 minutes per game over their last five outings.

Mikko Koskinen has stopped 25.6 shots per game as the top option in goal for Edmonton. Koskinen has 22 wins, 25 losses, and four overtime losses to his name and has recorded a mediocre 2.89 goals against average and a subpar .908 save percentage this year.

The Oilers will be led on offense by Connor McDavid (36 goals, 69 assists).

Columbus Blue Jackets at Edmonton Oilers Betting Predictions

NHL Prediction: SU Winner – Blue Jackets, O/U – Under

Betting Trends

  • Edmonton (3-2 in shootouts this season) has more experience in games decided by shootout. Columbus has only participated in two shootouts this year, winning one and losing the other.
  • For both of these teams, the game went over the total in three of their last five outings.
  • Columbus has managed 26.4 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Edmonton is averaging 32.0 shots per game over its last five at home.
  • Eight of Columbus’ last ten games have been decided by two goals or more. The team is 3-5 in those games.
  • The Oilers this season have recorded the fourth-most hits per game in the NHL (26.9).