Two teams facing each other for the second time this year, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Montreal Canadiens take the ice at Bell Centre for an Eastern Conference matchup. The puck drops at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, November 27, and it is being televised live on Reseau Des Sports.
Columbus Blue Jackets at Montreal Canadiens Odds
Montreal (-105) is entering this one as the underdog to Columbus (-115), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals. The line for betting the total stands at -140 for the under and +120 for the over.
Columbus is 15-8 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 5.2 units this year. 13 of its outings have gone under the total, while 10 have gone over and none have pushed. As the road team this season, the Jackets are 7-4 SU.
Columbus has converted on just 9.5 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom- overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked fourth overall, and it’s successfully killed off 84.5 percent of its penalties.
For the team as a whole, the Jackets have been sent to the penalty box just 2.9 times per game this season, 2.4 per game over its last five games total, and 2.6 per game over its last five games as the visiting team. The teams been forced to defend opponent power plays just 5.0 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 28.3 saves per game with a .936 save percentage, Sergei Bobrovsky (14-5-1) has been the best option in goal for Columbus this season. If head coach John Tortorella decides to rest him, however, Columbus may turn to Joonas Korpisalo (1-3 record, .896 save percentage, 3.27 goals against average).
The visiting Blue Jackets have relied on Artemi Panarin and Oliver Bjorkstrand this year. Panarin (15 points) is up to five goals and 10 assists, and has recorded multiple points in two different games. Bjorkstrand has five goals and nine assists to his nameand has notched a point in 12 games.
Montreal is 9-15 straight up (SU) and has lost 8.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. 11 of its games have gone over the total, while another 11 have gone under and just two have pushed. It’s 5-7 SU at home this season.
The Canadiens have converted on just 15.5 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s ranked 28th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.9 percent of all penalties.
Montreal players have been whistled for penalties 4.1 times per game in total this season, and 5.2 per game over their past five match ups. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays 12.0 minutes per game over their last five home outings.
Carey Price (26.2 saves per game) has been the top choice in goal for the Canadiens. Price has four wins, eight losses, and one overtime loss and has registered a mediocre 3.44 goals against average and a poor .890 save percentage this year.
The home team will be led on offense by Jonathan Drouin (three goals, 12 assists).
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Montreal Canadiens Free Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Blue Jackets, O/U – Under
- Columbus has allowed 2.4 goals per game overall this year, but has driven that figure down to 1.0 per contest over the teams six-game winning streak.
- The Blue Jackets are 7-4 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 12-6 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 minutes, total.
- Montreal is 1-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Columbus is 2-1 in shootouts.
- The under has hit in three of Montreal’s last five outings.
- Montreal has averaged 18.2 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 13.4 giveaways per game (ranked 30th overall).
- Columbus skaters have averaged 6.6 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 6.1 giveaways per game (the second-fewest in the NHL).
- The Habs this season have handed the seventh-most hits in the NHL (24.5 per game), but the club has averaged 30.8 over their last five home outings.