The Columbia Lions (6-14, 3-4 Ivy) can put an end to a 10-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the Brown Bears (10-10, 3-4 Ivy) at Paul Bailey Pizzitola Sports Center. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Columbia Lions vs. Brown Bears Free Preview
In the Lions last contest, they were beaten by the Yale Bulldogs, 88-84. Columbia’s Lukas Meisner had a good game, contributing 15 points and 10 rebounds. Yale did an excellent job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent). Columbia, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 7.9 (better than their season average of 15.9).
The Bears are hoping for a better outcome after their 78-60 loss to the Cornell Big Red in their last matchup. Desmond Cambridge was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-24 shooting. Cornell had an effective field goal percentage of 0.613 (above their season average of 0.520). Brown, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (11.8 vs. 17.3).
The physical Brown offense seems poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Bears currently rank second in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.322, while Columbia ranks 183rd in FTA rate allowed (0.232).
Of Columbia’s 11 games with betting action, five have finished over the projected point total, while 7 of Brown’s 11 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bears have a significant advantage. They are 10-10 SU and 7-4 ATS, while the Lions are 6-14 SU and 5-6 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Lions, it’s been Meisner, who has averaged 13.6 points and 7.6 rebounds, while the Bears have received solid contributions from Cambridge (21.8 points, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Bears won the most recent matchup 88-68. The Bears dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 48.6 and a solid free throw rate of 0.258. For those same stats, the Lions were 9.4 and 0.145, respectively.
Columbia Lions vs. Brown Bears Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Columbia, ATS Winner – Columbia, O/U – Over
- The Lions rank 84th in steals per game (6.8) while the Bears rank 178th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Columbia averages 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 93rd in the nation. Brown ranks 152nd in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Columbia is 3-4 ATS on the road with 4 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Brown is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- Brown ranks 80th in three pointers allowed per game (20.3) while Columbia ranks 282nd (26.6).
- The Lions rank 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Bears rank 179th (4.5).
- Brown ranks 120th in rebounds per game (36.1) while Columbia ranks 241st in rebounds allowed per game (37.6).
- Brown is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Columbia is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lions have scored an average of 82.6 points per game (7.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 76.4 points per game (0.3 above their season average).