MWC foes will clash when the Wyoming Cowboys (11-6, 2-2 MWC) square off against the Colorado State Rams (9-9, 2-3 MWC) at Arena-Auditorium. Action gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Colorado State Rams at Wyoming Cowboys Free Preview
In the Rams last matchup, they beat the Utah State Aggies, 84-75. With 10 points and 15 rebounds, Colorado State’s Nico Carvacho had a good performance. Colorado State played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.481 (above their season average of 0.256) and a turnover percentage of 13.8 (better than their season average of 16.3). For those same stats, Utah State was 0.281 and 19.9, respectively.
The Cowboys are trying to rebound after their 75-66 loss to the New Mexico Lobos in their last game. Justin James was the games leading scorer with 31 points on 11-for-18 shooting. New Mexico had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 28.4). Wyoming, meanwhile, forced the Lobos into a turnover percentage of 24.7 (above their season average of 14.8).
Conflicting styles will be on display in this matchup. Wyoming has preferred to play quickly (11th in possessions per game), while Colorado State has been more methodical (163rd in possessions per game).
Carvacho has really been playing well over the last five games for Colorado State, averaging 9.2 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Rams won both contests played against each other last season. In the last contest, Colorado State won 78-76. The Rams dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.3 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.3. The Cowboys put up marks of 15.5 and 17.2, respectively, for those same stats.<
Colorado State Rams vs. Wyoming Cowboys Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Colorado State, ATS Winner – Colorado State, O/U – Under
- The Cowboys rank 49th in blocks per game (4.4) while the Rams rank 19th in blocks allowed per game (2.4).
- Wyoming averages 24.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 62nd in the NCAA. Colorado State ranks 231st in three pointers allowed per game (25.3).
- The Rams average 37.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 101st in the NCAA. The Cowboys rank 254th in rebounds allowed per game (40.0).
- Wyoming averages 15.0 assists per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. Colorado State ranks 176th in assists allowed per game (14.7).
- The Cowboys have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Wyoming has defeated opponents by an average of 1.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 72.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (0.3 above their season average).