The Utah State Aggies (15-16, 8-10 MWC) and the Colorado State Rams (11-20, 4-14 MWC) face off in the Mountain West Conference Tournament at Thomas & Mack Center. Utah State opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 150 points. Action starts at 4:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Colorado State Rams vs. Utah State Aggies ATS Preview
The Rams were blown out by the New Mexico Lobos in their last game, 108-87. With 27 points on 8-for-18 shooting, Prentiss Nixon was the top scorer from either team. New Mexico’s 38.5 offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over Colorado State, who had a mark of 28.9. The Lobos’ mark was above their season average of 26.1.
In the Aggies’ last game, they defeated the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels, 79-67. Utah State rallied around Koby McEwen, who was the top scorer from either team with 18 points on 5-for-14 shooting. Utah State played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.6 (better than their season average of 16.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.1 (above their season average of 26.5). UNLV was 20.9 and 23.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The upper-echelon offense of Utah State will clash against the mid-tier defense of Colorado State. The Aggies currently rank 82nd in effective field goal percentage (0.537), while the Rams are 301st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.536). The Aggies figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Colorado State have finished over 63.0 percent of the time, while 60.7 percent of Utah State games have gone under. The Aggies hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 15-16 SU and 13-15 ATS, while the Rams are 11-20 SU and 9-16-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 159 points, well over the projected point total of 144. The Rams won 84-75, covering as 8-point underdogs. The Rams played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.481 and a turnover percentage of 13.8. For those same stats, the Aggies were 0.281 and 19.9, respectively. Sam Merrill had a standout performance in the game, producing 18 points.
Colorado State Rams vs. Utah State Aggies ATS Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Over
- The Rams rank 130th in blocks per game (3.3) while the Aggies rank 225th (2.1).
- Utah State averages 25.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 41st in the NCAA. Colorado State ranks 295th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- The Rams rank 64th in rebounds per game (37.7) while the Aggies rank 225th (33.5).
- Utah State averages 13.9 assists per game, which ranks 128th in the NCAA. Colorado State ranks 255th in assists allowed per game (15.8).
- Utah State is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Colorado State is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Aggies have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Utah State has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 90.4 points per game (11.0 above their season average).