The Iowa Hawkeyes (6-4) and the Colorado Buffaloes (8-3) clash at Sanford Pentagon. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 150.5 points with Iowa set as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Colorado Buffaloes vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Free Preview
The Buffaloes beat the South Dakota State Jackrabbits in their last contest, 112-103. McKinley Wright IV was Colorado’s leading scorer with 30 points on 10-for-19 shooting. Colorado played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.257 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 31.1). For those same stats, South Dakota State was 0.163 and 26.5, respectively.
In the Hawkeyes last game, they dismantled the Southern Utah Thunderbirds, 92-64. Tyler Cook played a key role for Iowa with 16 points and seven rebounds. Iowa played a perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.8 (below their season average of 38.2) and a free throw rate of 0.239 (above their season average of 0.218). Southern Utah recorded marks of 7.3 and 0.131, respectively, for those same stats.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the nation’s top rebounding teams battle. The Hawkeyes are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 17th in offensive rebounding percentage at 37.2 percent. Meanwhile, Colorado ranks 34th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.7 percent. Moreover, the Buffaloes are among the NCAA’s elite at getting to the line, ranking 54th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.285). The Hawkeyes, however, rank 44th in opponents FTA rate (0.179).
Of Colorado’s 11 games, six have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Iowa’s 9 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Buffaloes have a sizable advantage. They are 8-3 SU and 5-6 ATS, while the Hawkeyes are 6-4 SU and 3-4-2 ATS.
Wright IV has been on fire over the last five games for Colorado, averaging 15.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
Colorado Buffaloes vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Colorado, O/U – Under
- The Buffaloes average 40.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 32nd in the NCAA. The Hawkeyes rank 118th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- Iowa averages 6.6 steals per game, which ranks 106th in the NCAA. Colorado ranks 136th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Iowa ranks second in assists per game (20.5) while Colorado ranks 189th (12.3).
- The Hawkeyes rank 27th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Buffaloes rank 129th (3.2).
- Iowa averages 23.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 107th in the NCAA. Colorado ranks 193rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.9).
- The Hawkeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.2, up from 11.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Buffaloes have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (6.8 above their season average).