The Colorado Avalanche and the Calgary Flames are set to face off at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Game 5 of the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The match will get started at 10 p.m. ET on Friday, April 19, and you’ll be able to catch the game live on NBC Sports Network.
Colorado Avalanche vs. Calgary Flames Odds
With a moneyline of -175, Calgary heads into the contest as the substantial favorite. The line for the Avalanche now stands at +155, and oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at an even 6 goals (-110 over, -110 under).
Calgary is 51-35 straight-up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 2.9 units this year. That winning percentage, ranked third in the league in this young season, is a welcome improvement over the 37-45 record from the 2017-18 season campaign. Through 86 regular season matches, 42 of the team’s games have gone over the total, while 40 have gone under and just four have pushed. The team is 27-16 SU at home this season.
The Flames’ offensive attack attempted 32.3 shots per game in the regular season, leading to 3.5 goals per outing (ranked second overall in the NHL). In the postseason, the club’s attempting an average of 33.8 shots on goal and down to 2.5 goals per game.
Following a regular season where they scored on 19.5 percent of all power-play opportunities (the 17th-ranked), the Flames have connected on 26.3 percent of their power plays in the early stages of this postseason.
Averaging 24.9 saves per game with a .911 save percentage, David Rittich (28-17-5) has been the primary goalkeeper for Calgary this year. If the Flames choose to give him the evening off, however, head coach Bill Peters may roll with Mike Smith (25-21-21 record, .903 save percentage, 2.73 goals against average).
Colorado has lost 10.9 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year and is currently 41-45 straight up (SU). Through 86 regular season matches, 44 of its games have gone under the total, while 41 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Avalanche are 18-25 SU as the road team this season.
The Avalanche have converted on 21.6 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that places it in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 25th overall and it’s successfully defended 78.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Semyon Varlamov (27.8 saves per game) has been the primary choice in goal for Colorado. Varlamov owns a 20-29-9 record, and has registered a .909 save percentage and 2.87 goals against average this year.
Colorado Avalanche vs. Calgary Flames Betting Predictions
NHL Pick: SU Winner – Avalanche, O/U – Under
- The total has gone under in four of Calgary’s last five outings.
- Colorado has managed 28.2 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Calgary is averaging 34.6 shots per game over its last five at home.
- Colorado skaters created 20.4 hits per game last season, while the Flames posted 20.0 hits per matchup.