One winning streak will conclude at three games as the Troy Trojans take the field against the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. This pivotal conference matchup will begin at 3:30 p.m. ET and ESPN 3 has the TV rights.
Betting Preview: Troy Trojans vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
In this Saturday Sun Belt game, Troy is projected as the big favorite and is currently giving up 14 points. The Chanticleers are also receiving +500 moneyline odds while the Trojans are -735. If one side can find paydirt in the early stages, it’ll likely create a worthy live betting opportunity.
Sharp bettors are siding with the Chanticleers. This game’s opening line was -15.
Each team has posted a good return this season as the Chanticleers have gained 4.0 units and the Trojans are ahead 3.1 units.
The Chanticleers have gone 3-1 straight up (SU), including 1-0 SU against SBC opponents. The Trojans are 3-1 SU overall and are also 1-0 SU in conference play.
When these two teams met a year ago, Troy won easily 42-17.
Each team enters the matchup on a three-game unbeaten streak. The Chanticleers hope to keep it rolling after a 30-28 win over Louisiana last week. the Chanticleers completed 12-of-17 passes for 186 yards and two touchdowns. Kilton Anderson went seven-for-11 for 104 yards and one touchdown while Bryce Carpenter completed five-of-five for 82 yards and one touchdown. Marcus Outlow (96 yards on 20 rushes, two TDs) and Torrance Marable (89 yards on 14 carries) led the running attack while Malcolm Williams (four receptions, 37 yards) and Ky’Jon Tyler (two catches, 50 yards, one TD) shared the receiving duties in the win.
Troy is coming off of a 35-27 win over Louisiana-Monroe. Kaleb Barker completed 23-of-28 passes for 273 yards and two touchdowns. B.J. Smith (63 rushing yards on 16 attempts) and the signal-caller Barker (50 yards on 15 carries, two TDs) led the running game while Sidney Davis (six receptions, 78 yards, one TD) and Deondre Douglas (five catches, 67 yards) led the pass-catching attack in the win.
Coastal Carolina’s run the ball on 72.2 percent of its offensive possessions this year while Troy has an overall rush percentage of 55.2 percent. The Chanticleers have rushed for 266.5 yards/game and have 11 touchdowns on the ground this year. The Trojans are logging 174.8 rush yards per game and have eight total rushing TDs.
The Chanticleers offensive scheme has tallied 176.5 yards per game through the air overall and has nine passing scores so far. The Trojans have recorded 219.8 pass yards per game and also have nine total pass TDs.
Defensively, Coastal Carolina should have the upper hand when it comes to limiting the pass. The team has let opponents rush for an average of 218.8 yards and pass for 201.0 yards per game. The Troy D has allowed 247.8 yards per game to opposing passers and 141.5 yards per game to opposing runners. The Trojans are allowing an adjusted net yards per pass attempt (ANY/A) of only 6.02 to opponents, while the Chanticleers have given up a 6.98 ANY/A.
Offensively, Anderson is up to 362 passing yards on the year, and has completed 69 percent of his 42 attempts with three scores through the air and has yet to throw an interception. Anderson’s got a pristine 7.98 adjusted net yards per pass attempt overall, although that number sits at 12.96 over the past two games.
We’re expecting the Chanticleers to control tempo by feeding their running backs early and often. Kilton Anderson (0 yards) has contributed in the receiving game lately, but backfield mates Marcus Outlow (295 rush yards, four rush TDs) and Torrance Marable (198 rush yards, two rush TDs, one receiving TD) have been significant focal points in the Coastal Carolina offensive scheme.
In the home locker room, Kaleb Barker has completed 57-of-80 passes for 624 yards, seven TDs and one INT. Barker’s ANY/A sits at 7.48 for the year and 6.46 across his past two games.
The Trojans also like to leverage their backfield. In addition to B.J. Smith (49 receiving yards), Damion Willis (zero rush yards, 141 receiving yards, four receiving TDs) and Sidney Davis (zero rush yards, 130 receiving yards, two TDs) have gotten plenty of action recently.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers at Troy Trojans Free NCAA Betting Tip
SU Winner: Troy, ATS Winner: Troy
- The Troy D has created nine sacks on the year while Coastal Carolina has seven.
- The Troy offense has lost four fumbles in 2018 while Coastal Carolina has lost two.
- The Chanticleers offense has recorded one pass play of 40+ yards, while the Trojans have put up zero such plays.
- The Coastal Carolina defense has allowed two pass plays of 40 yards or more, while Troy has given up five such plays.
- The Coastal Carolina offense has created 13 rushing plays of 20 or more yards, while Troy has created nine such runs.
- The Chanticleers defense has allowed 10 rushing plays of 20 or more yards, while the Trojans have given up seven such runs.
- Troy was the underdog by 4 points in its last matchup and the Over/Under was set at 58. The over cashed and Troy covered in the team’s 35-27 win over Louisiana-Monroe.
- Over its last three matches, Troy is 3-0 ATS and the over cashed in two of those three.
- Coastal Carolina was favored by 3 points in its previous game and the Over/Under was set at 62.5. The under cashed and Coastal Carolina failed to cover in the 30-28 win over Louisiana.
- Coastal Carolina has produced 6.57342657342657 yards per carry over its last three games and 6.4 over its last two.
- Troy has averaged 5.2 yards per carry over its last three contests and 4.1 over its last two.