The Appalachian State Mountaineers (13-17, 8-9 SBC) and Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (14-16, 8-9 SBC) will face off at Holmes Convocation Center to wrap up the regular season. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers at Appalachian State Mountaineers Free Preview
The last time the Chanticleers played, they were victorious over the Arkansas State Red Wolves, 88-81. Tyrell Gumbs-Frater was Coastal Carolina’s leading scorer with 24 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Coastal Carolina dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.492) and a free throw rate of 0.377 (above their season average of 0.277). For those same stats, Arkansas State had marks of 0.425 and 0.260, respectively.
The Mountaineers come in on a high note after barely hanging on to beat the Little Rock Trojans in their last game, 69-67. With 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting, Justin Forrest was the top scorer from either team. Appalachian State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.277 (above their season average of 0.241) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.596 (above their season average of 0.509). For those same stats, Little Rock was 0.192 and 0.548, respectively.
It will be a showdown of conflicting paces as the fast-paced Mountaineers (ranked 59th in the NCAA in possessions per game) will look to push the more methodical Chanticleers (188th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the Chanticleers rank 28th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.5 percent), while the Mountaineers rank 45th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
Artur Labinowicz has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Coastal Carolina, averaging 13.0 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Mountaineers won 81-66. The Mountaineers dominated every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.7 and an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.418. The Chanticleers recorded marks of 24.2 and 0.255, respectively, for those same stats. Ronshad Shabazz was a top performer in the victory, with 19 points.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Coastal Carolina, ATS Winner – Coastal Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Mountaineers average 5.9 steals per game, which ranks 147th in the nation. The Chanticleers rank 194th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- Appalachian State averages 26.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 37th in the nation. Coastal Carolina ranks 268th in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- The Chanticleers average 39.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 27th in the nation. The Mountaineers rank 183rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- Coastal Carolina ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Appalachian State ranks 108th (3.4).
- The Mountaineers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, up from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Chanticleers have scored an average of 71.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (1.9 above their season average).