The Cleveland State Vikings (4-13, 1-3 Hor) can snap a nine-game road losing streak when they clash with the Oakland Golden Grizzlies (10-8, 2-3 Hor) at Athletics Center Orena. Oakland opened as a 15.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 158 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Cleveland State Vikings at Oakland Golden Grizzlies Odds Preview
The Vikings lost a tough one against the Detroit Titans in their last contest, 85-84. With 19 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Tyree Appleby was Cleveland State’s leading scorer. Detroit had a better free throw rate (0.211 vs. 0.143). Cleveland State, meanwhile, made 14 of their 31 three pointers (45.2 percent).
In the Golden Grizzlies last matchup, they defeated the Youngstown State Penguins, 95-82. Jalen Hayes had a good outing for Oakland, putting up 20 points and 10 rebounds. Oakland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.278 (above their season average of 0.274) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.741 (above their season average of 0.514). For those same stats, Youngstown State recorded marks of 0.200 and 0.583, respectively.
Contrasting paces will be on display in this contest. Oakland has preferred to play fast (27th in possessions per game), while Cleveland State has been more half-court-oriented (218th in possessions per game).
Bobby Word has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Cleveland State, averaging 15.6 points and 1.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Golden Grizzlies won 53-51. The Golden Grizzlies dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.220 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0. The Vikings recorded marks of 0.078 and 28.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Oakland Golden Grizzlies Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Oakland, ATS Winner – Oakland, O/U – Under
- The Golden Grizzlies rank 126th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the Vikings rank 267th (29.6).
- Oakland ranks 23rd in blocks per game (5.3) while Cleveland State ranks 123rd (3.1).
- Oakland ranks 14th in three pointers allowed per game (17.6) while Cleveland State ranks 219th (24.8).
- The Golden Grizzlies average 18.3 assists per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. The Vikings rank 208th in assists allowed per game (15.8).
- Cleveland State ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Oakland ranks 169th (7.8).
- The Golden Grizzlies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vikings have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.4 points per game (9.3 above their season average).