The No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (11-1) and the Cleveland State Vikings (3-9) battle at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. The Spartans will attempt to lengthen their 10-game winning streak. Michigan State opened as a 32.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 138.5 points. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
Cleveland State Vikings at Michigan State Spartans ATS Preview
The Vikings were beaten by the Toledo Rockets in their last game, 77-62. With 15 points on 5-for-10 shooting, Tyree Appleby led Cleveland State in scoring. Toledo had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (32.1 vs. 19.4). Cleveland State, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (12-16; 75.0 percent).
The last time the Spartans played, they thoroughly outplayed the Long Beach State 49ers, 102-60. Michigan State was led by Jaren Jackson Jr. who contributed 13 points and six rebounds. Michigan State played a flawless game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.711 (above their season average of 0.569) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.0 (above their season average of 38.5). Long Beach State had marks of 0.441 and 33.3, respectively, for those same stats.
Michigan State could dominate the offensive glass in this showdown. The Spartans rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (39.2 percent), while Cleveland State ranks 328th in defensive rebounding percentage (65.2 percent). Moreover, the Vikings 315th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 96.7) will face a difficult test against the Spartans 10th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 88.0).
Of Cleveland State’s 9 games with betting action, five have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Michigan State’s 11 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spartans hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-1 SU and 8-5 ATS, while the Vikings are 3-9 SU and 5-4 ATS.
Miles Bridges has really been playing well over the last five games for Michigan State, averaging 19.4 points, 6.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Michigan State Spartans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Under
- The Vikings rank 45th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Spartans rank 114th (6.7).
- Cleveland State ranks 62nd in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while Michigan State ranks 90th in three pointers allowed per game (20.7).
- Michigan State ranks seventh in rebounds per game (43.0) while Cleveland State ranks 255th (31.2).
- The Spartans rank second in assists per game (20.5) while the Vikings rank 186th (12.4).
- Michigan State ranks first in blocks per game (9.1) while Cleveland State ranks 121st (3.3).
- The Spartans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 30.2, up from 23.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vikings have scored an average of 71.4 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (3.0 above their season average).