The IUPUI Jaguars (7-16, 4-8 Hor), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Cleveland State Vikings (6-19, 3-9 Hor) to Indiana Farmers Coliseum. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 137 points with IUPUI set as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 8, 2018.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. IUPUI Jaguars Free Preview
In the Vikings’ last contest, they lost to the Northern Kentucky Norse, 78-61. Tyree Appleby put together a solid performance for Cleveland State, leading the team in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-8 shooting. Northern Kentucky had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 (above their season average of 29.0). Cleveland State, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (13-14; 92.9 percent).
The Jaguars are trying to rebound after their 82-74 loss to the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their last matchup. With 16 points, IUPUI’s Aaron Brennan played well. Oakland did an excellent job of making free throws (25-33; 75.8 percent). IUPUI, on the other hand, held the Golden Grizzlies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 26.3).
It could be an error-filled game for the IUPUI offense. IUPUI ranks 306th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.2 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Cleveland State forces the 72nd-most turnovers in the NCAA (21.3 percent).
Of Cleveland State’s 22 games with betting action, 11 have finished under the projected point total, while 14 of IUPUI’s 21 games have finished under the O/U total. The Jaguars have the better straight up (SU) record (7-16 vs. 6-19), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. IUPUI is 9-12, while Cleveland State is 10-11-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The Vikings won 70-67. Cleveland State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (15-18; 83.3 percent). IUPUI, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (24.8 vs. 26.5). Kenny Carpenter was the game’s leading scorer with 23 points.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. IUPUI Jaguars Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – IUPUI, ATS Winner – IUPUI, O/U – Under
- The Jaguars rank 165th in assists per game (13.3) while the Vikings rank 238th in assists allowed per game (15.7).
- Cleveland State ranks 142nd in blocks per game (3.0) while IUPUI ranks 165th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- On the road, Cleveland State is 7-6 ATS with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- IUPUI is 4-2 ATS at home with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- IUPUI ranks 48th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while Cleveland State ranks 209th (23.3).
- The Vikings rank 32nd in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Jaguars rank 191st (7.5).
- IUPUI ranks 140th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4) while Cleveland State ranks 255th (38.4).
- IUPUI is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland State is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Jaguars’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.4, up from 5.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vikings have scored an average of 61.8 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.0 points per game (0.2 above their season average).