The Cleveland State Vikings (3-7) look to end a six-game road losing streak when they square off against the No. 20 Cincinnati Bearcats (7-2) at BB&T Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 133.5 points with Cincinnati set as a 28-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Cincinnati Bearcats Free Preview
In the Vikings last game, they lost a tough one against the Niagara Purple Eagles, 79-77. Cleveland State’s Kenny Carpenter put together a good performance, contributing 16 points and six rebounds. Niagara did a fantastic job of making free throws (20-25; 80.0 percent). Cleveland State, meanwhile, forced the Purple Eagles into a turnover percentage of 17.2 (above their season average of 12.5).
The Bearcats come in on a high note after blowing out the UAPB Golden Lions in their last matchup, 77-49. Cincinnati was led by Jacob Evans III, who finished with 12 points and seven rebounds. Cincinnati played a perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 37.3) and a free throw rate of 0.345 (above their season average of 0.252). UAPB recorded marks of 17.6 and 0.160, respectively, for those same stats.
Expect Cincinnati to own the offensive glass in this showdown. Since last season, the Bearcats rank 13th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.9 percent), while Cleveland State ranks 311th in defensive rebounding percentage (67.4 percent). Furthermore, the Vikings rank 313th in offensive efficiency (97.1), while the Bearcats rank fifth in defensive efficiency (92.6).
Games involving these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Cleveland State games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while Cincinnati games have gone under 75.0 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bearcats have a sizable advantage. They are 7-2 SU and 5-4 ATS, while the Vikings are 3-7 SU and 4-3 ATS.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Cincinnati Bearcats Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cincinnati, ATS Winner – Cleveland State, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Bearcats rank fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Vikings rank 103rd (3.1).
- Both of these teams are great at stealing the ball. Cincinnati is 23rd in the nation with 7.5 steals per game while Cleveland State is 45th with 7.3 steals per game.
- Cincinnati ranks 13th in rebounds per game (37.8) while Cleveland State ranks 233rd in rebounds allowed per game (37.9).
- The Bearcats rank 23rd in assists per game (16.0) while the Vikings rank 170th (11.1).
- Cincinnati ranks 120th in three pointers attempted per game (21.6) while Cleveland State ranks 222nd in three pointers allowed per game (20.9).