The Cleveland State Vikings (4-14, 1-4 Hor) can snap a 10-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Northern Kentucky Norse (11-6, 4-1 Hor) at BB&T Arena. Northern Kentucky is an 18.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 142.5 points. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Northern Kentucky Norse Odds Preview
The Vikings fell to the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their last contest, 81-68. Cleveland State’s Tyree Appleby contributed 14 points and seven assists in the contest. Oakland had an effective field goal percentage of 0.607 (above their season average of 0.525). Cleveland State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 21.9).
In the Norse’s last matchup, they were topped by the Wright State Raiders, 84-81. With 18 points and 10 rebounds, Northern Kentucky’s Drew McDonald played well. Wright State did a fantastic job of making free throws (21-28; 75.0 percent). Northern Kentucky, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (13.3 vs. 20.9).
The high-powered offense of Northern Kentucky (53rd in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 113.3) will square off against the porous defense of Cleveland State (289th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 108.2). The Norse figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Cleveland State’s 15 games with betting action, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of Northern Kentucky’s 14 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Norse have a significant advantage. They are 11-6 SU and 10-4 ATS, while the Vikings are 4-14 SU and 7-7-1 ATS.
McDonald has been impressive over the last five games for Northern Kentucky, averaging 17.2 points and 10.8 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Norse won both meetings last season. In the last matchup, Northern Kentucky won 62-60. The Norse played a nearly flawless game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.269 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7. The Vikings were 0.218 and 21.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Cleveland State Vikings vs. Northern Kentucky Norse Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Cleveland State, O/U – Under
- The Vikings rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Norse rank 69th (5.8).
- Cleveland State is 6-4 ATS on the road, while Northern Kentucky is 5-1 ATS at home.
- The Vikings have 5 overs and 5 unders in 10 road games.
- Of the Norse’s 6 home games, they have 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Northern Kentucky ranks 25th in assists allowed per game (10.8) while Cleveland State ranks 233rd (16.3).
- The Norse rank 37th in three pointers allowed per game (18.9) while the Vikings rank 216th (24.4).
- Northern Kentucky ranks 143rd in rebounds per game (35.7) while Cleveland State ranks 261st (30.0).
- Northern Kentucky is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland State is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Norse’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, down from 14.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Vikings have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (5.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).