The Washington Wizards (16-13) will be at home in Capital One Arena when they go head-to-head with the Cleveland Cavaliers (22-8). Cleveland is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213 points. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 17, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Odds Preview
The last time the Cavaliers played, they defeated the Utah Jazz, 109-100. With 29 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists, LeBron James led the way for Cleveland with his fourth triple-double of the season. The Cavaliers made 15 of their 17 free throws (88.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.558).
The Wizards come in on a high note after beating the Los Angeles Clippers in their last game, 100-91. Washington’s Bradley Beal led the way, putting up 20 points and 11 rebounds. The Wizards held the Clippers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.429 (below their season average of 0.512). The Clippers also had a turnover percentage of 17.7 (above their season average of 13.0).
Cleveland could struggle to create turnovers. Washington ranks eighth in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.5 percent), while Cleveland forces the eighth-fewest turnovers (13.7 percent). Furthermore, the Cavaliers rank fifth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.222), while the Wizards rank 25th in opponents FTA rate (0.218).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games involving Cleveland have finished over 55.2 percent of the time, while Washington games have gone under 69.0 percent of the time. The Cavaliers have the superior straight up (SU) record (22-8 vs. 16-13), but the Wizards hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (14-15 vs. 10-18-1).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Cavaliers, it’s been James, who has averaged 28.2 points, 11.8 assists, 10.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Wizards have gotten great contributions from Beal (31.2 points and 4.0 assists).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 252 points, well over the projected point total of 225. The Cavaliers won 130-122, covering as 4-point underdogs. The Cavaliers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.317 and a turnover percentage of 12.9. For those same stats, the Wizards were 0.250 and 14.1, respectively. James put up a double-double in the victory with 57 points and 11 rebounds.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Under
- The Wizards average 18.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Cavaliers rank 15th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.6).
- Cleveland averages 43.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. Washington ranks 17th in points allowed in the paint per game (43.9).
- Washington ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Cleveland ranks 11th (7.7).
- Cleveland is 8-5 ATS on the road with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- Washington is 4-9 ATS at home with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- When allowing below 100 points, Washington is 13-1 and Cleveland is 9-0.
- The Wizards are 13-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Cavaliers are 22-6.
- The Cavaliers average 11.7 second chance points per game, which ranks 20th in the league. The Wizards rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- Washington ranks seventh in assists allowed per game (21.4) while Cleveland ranks 27th (25.3).
- The Cavaliers rank third in three pointers attempted per game (32.4) while the Wizards rank 22nd (25.7).
- The Cavaliers average 41.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 22nd in the league. The Wizards rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.1).
- Cleveland ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Washington ranks 17th (4.9).
- Washington is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Wizards average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 2.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 112.0 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (1.3 below their season average).