Central Division foes will collide when the Indiana Pacers (21-20) take on the Cleveland Cavaliers (26-15) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Cleveland is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 223 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Indiana Pacers Odds Preview
The Cavaliers were blown out by the Toronto Raptors in their last outing, 133-99. LeBron James put together a good performance for Cleveland, leading both teams in scoring with 26 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Toronto had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.9 (above their season average of 22.5). Cleveland, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (25-30; 83.3 percent).
The last time the Pacers played, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Miami Heat, 114-106. Victor Oladipo was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Miami was lights out from beyond the arc (13-30; 43.3 percent). Indiana, meanwhile, held the Heat to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.4 (below their season average of 20.5).
Indiana may have difficulty getting to the charity stripe in this contest. The Pacers currently rank 25th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.178, while Cleveland ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.160). Additionally, the Cavaliers fourth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 111.0) will clash against the Pacers 22nd-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 107.9).
Of Cleveland’s 40 games that accepted bets, 21 have finished over the projected point total, while 22 of Indiana’s 41 games have finished under the projected point total. The Cavaliers hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (26-15 vs. 21-20), but the Pacers have been better against the spread (ATS) (22-19 vs. 12-27-1).
Domantas Sabonis has been on fire over the last five games for Indiana, averaging 17.0 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Pacers winning both. In the most recent matchup, the Cavaliers lost 106-102, unable to cover as 3-point favorites. James recorded 29 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. The two teams combined for 208 points, which was 13 points below the projected point total of 221 points. The Pacers played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.7 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.5. The Cavaliers were 10.4 and 19.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Indiana Pacers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Under
- The Pacers rank third in fast break points per game (14.9) while the Cavaliers rank 18th (10.0).
- Indiana ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Cleveland ranks 13th (7.6).
- Indiana ranks 13th in points in the paint per game (44.8) while Cleveland ranks 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (46.4).
- Indiana ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.1) while Cleveland ranks 16th in second chance points allowed per game (12.7).
- Indiana is 12-11 ATS at home, while Cleveland is 9-12 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Pacers 23 home games, while 11 of the Cavaliers’ 21 road games have gone under.
- Cleveland is 10-1 when they allow under 100 points, while Indiana is 11-1.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Cavaliers are 26-8 and the Pacers are 19-9.
- The Pacers rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while the Cavaliers rank 14th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.3).
- Cleveland ranks third in three pointers attempted per game (32.8) while Indiana ranks 25th (24.9).
- The Cavaliers rank fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while the Pacers rank 23rd (5.3).
- The Pacers rank 21st in rebounds per game (41.9) while the Cavaliers rank 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (43.9).
- Indiana ranks 14th in assists per game (22.7) while Cleveland ranks last in assists allowed per game (25.8).
- Indiana is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pacers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 119.8 points per game (11.0 above their season average).