Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Cleveland Cavaliers (8-34), 14.5-point underdogs, travel to Houston to take on the Rockets (23-17). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 217.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Ohio at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 11, 2019.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Houston Rockets Betting Odds
Both teams failed to cover as underdogs in their last contest. The Cavaliers (14.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the New Orleans Pelicans, 140-124, while the Rockets (2-point underdogs) fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 116-109. The Cleveland game went 39 points over the projected point total of 225, while the Houston game finished 3.5 points under the projected point total of 228.5.
Cleveland had a better turnover percentage (11.4 vs. 13.7) while Houston did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (27-32; 84.4 percent). Houston’s James Harden had a solid performance, putting up 42 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. Meanwhile, Cleveland rallied around Jordan Clarkson, who recorded 21 points.
In their first matchup this season, Tristan Thompson led the Cavaliers to a 117-108 win. He recorded a double-double with 16 points and 20 rebounds. Cleveland covered as a 6.5-point underdog and the two teams combined for 225 points, which was well over the projected point total of 208.5. Cleveland’s rebounding was their largest advantage. The Cavaliers had more offensive rebounds (20 vs. eight), defensive rebounds (29 vs. 23) and total rebounds (49 vs. 31).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Cavaliers games, with 22 overs compared to 19 unders. Cleveland holds records of 8-34 straight up (SU) and 19-23 against the spread (ATS).
Coinciding with Cleveland, just over half of Rockets games have finished over the O/U total. Additionally, Houston is 23-17 SU and 20-19-1 ATS.
Harden and Clint Capela have played well over the last five games for Houston. Harden has averaged 40 points,11.0 assists,7.8 rebounds,1.6 steals,1.2 blocks, while Capela has put up 20 points,14.2 rebounds,1.4 blocks a game during that span.
The high-octane offense of Houston (third in the league with an offensive efficiency of 111.7) will battle against the porous defense of Cleveland (30th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 115.0). The Rockets should have the edge on that end of the court.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Houston Rockets ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank 28th in assists per game (21.2) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (20.2).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (43.0) while Cleveland ranks 27th (26.0).
- The Rockets rank 21st in points off turnovers per game (15.7) while the Cavaliers rank last (13.6).
- Cleveland ranks 22nd in points allowed in the paint per game (50.9) while Houston ranks 29th (52.6).
- Cleveland ranks 24th in rebounds per game (42.2) while Houston ranks 25th (42.1).
- The Rockets rank 13th in blocks per game (5.3) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (2.5).
- The Rockets rank 10th in second chance points per game (13.6) while the Cavaliers rank 14th in second chance points allowed per game (13.0).
- Houston ranks 16th in steals per game (7.6) while Cleveland ranks 25th (6.9).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Houston is 6-2 and Cleveland is 3-3.
- The Rockets are 21-10 when they reach the century mark, while the Cavaliers are 6-16.
- Houston is 12-7-1 ATS at home, while Cleveland is 11-9 ATS on the road.
- Of the Cavaliers’ 20 road games, they have 11 unders, 8 overs and 1 push.
- Of the Rockets’ 20 home games, they have 13 overs and 7 unders.
- The Rockets are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Houston has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Cleveland has 5 overs.
- The Rockets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 104.0 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 126.0 points per game (13.0 above their season average).