A shootout should be expected when the Golden State Warriors (26-7) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (24-9) battle at ORACLE Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 219 points with Golden State set as a 5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Monday, December 25, 2017, and it can be seen on ABC.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors Betting Preview
The Cavaliers won a close one over the Chicago Bulls in their last matchup, 115-112. LeBron James was the games high scorer with 34 points on 12-for-23 shooting. Cleveland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.232 (above their season average of 0.219) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 19.7). Chicago was 0.071 and 15.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Warriors played, they were beaten by the Denver Nuggets, 96-81. Kevin Durant was Golden State’s high scorer with 18 points on 6-for-17 shooting. Denver held the Warriors to an effective field goal percentage of 0.404 (below their season average of 0.578). Golden State, meanwhile, forced the Nuggets into a turnover percentage of 16.9 (above their season average of 13.7).
Golden State could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense goes up against one of the leagues worst defenses. The Warriors rank second in offensive efficiency, while Cleveland ranks 27th in defensive efficiency.
Of Cleveland’s 33 games, 18 have finished over the O/U total, while 17 of Golden State’s 33 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (24-9 for Cleveland; 26-7 for Golden State), but the Warriors have the edge against the spread (ATS). Golden State is 15-18 ATS, while the Cavaliers are 11-21-1.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Warriors won five out of seven games played against each other last season. In the last game, Golden State won 129-120. The Warriors dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.256 and a turnover percentage of 11.3. For those same stats, the Cavaliers had marks of 0.170 and 12.5, respectively.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Warriors, O/U – Under
- The Warriors rank 11th in three pointers attempted per game (30.0) while the Cavaliers rank 29th in three pointers allowed per game (32.1).
- Cleveland ranks 17th in second chance points allowed per game (12.3) while Golden State ranks 27th (13.6).
- Cleveland ranks 12th in steals allowed per game (7.8) while Golden State ranks 26th (8.9).
- Golden State averages 44.9 rebounds per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Cleveland ranks 13th in rebounds allowed per game (42.8).
- Cleveland is 9-6 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 7 unders.
- Golden State is 7-9 ATS at home with 9 unders and 7 overs.
- Golden State is 9-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Cleveland is 10-0.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Warriors are 24-4 and the Cavaliers are 24-7.
- The Cavaliers rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.3) while the Warriors rank 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.3).
- Golden State averages 30.1 assists per game, which ranks first in the league. Cleveland ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (25.4).
- The Warriors rank first in blocks per game (8.7) while the Cavaliers rank 25th (3.8).
- The Warriors rank 11th in points in the paint per game (45.2) while the Cavaliers rank 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.2).
- Golden State ranks first in fast break points per game (21.5) while Cleveland ranks 23rd (9.1).
- Golden State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Warriors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 113.4 points per game (2.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average).