The Detroit Pistons (22-26), who are currently on an eight-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Cleveland Cavaliers (29-19) to Little Caesars Arena. Cleveland is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Detroit Pistons Free Preview
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Cavaliers winning both. In the most recent matchup, James scored a game-high 25 points and the Cavaliers beat the Pistons 121-104, covering as 7.5-point favorites. He also had 14 assists and eight rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 225 points, which was 6 points above the projected point total of 219 points. Cleveland did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (22-26; 84.6 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (5.6 vs. 9.6).
Points at the line could be few and far between for Detroit in this battle. The Pistons currently rank 28th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.163, while Cleveland ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.159). Moreover, the Cavaliers rank fourth in effective field goal percentage (0.546), while the Pistons rank 21st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.530).
Of Cleveland’s 48 games, 25 have finished over the O/U total, while 27 of Detroit’s 48 games have finished under the O/U total. The Cavaliers hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (29-19 vs. 22-26), but the Pistons have been superior against the spread (ATS) (24-22-2 vs. 14-33-1).
Isaiah Thomas has really been playing well over the last five games for Cleveland, averaging 18.0 points and 3.8 assists per game.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Detroit Pistons Betting Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.3) while the Cavaliers rank 25th (46.8).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while Cleveland ranks 14th (11.3).
- Detroit ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while Cleveland ranks 18th (12.8).
- Detroit ranks 19th in rebounds per game (42.3) while Cleveland ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- Cleveland is 9-15 ATS on the road with 12 overs and 12 unders.
- At home, Detroit is 10-12-1 ATS with 12 unders and 11 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Cleveland is 10-2 and Detroit is 12-6.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Pistons are 19-12 and the Cavaliers are 29-11.
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Cavaliers rank 18th (16.9).
- Cleveland averages 23.5 assists per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Detroit ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (24.4).
- The Pistons rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (28.6) while the Cavaliers rank last (32.0).
- The Pistons rank 15th in steals per game (7.7) while the Cavaliers rank 16th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- Cleveland ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Detroit ranks 21st (5.2).
- Detroit is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Pistons average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 113.2 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.4 points per game (6.0 above their season average).