The Charlotte Hornets (5-7) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they go head-to-head with the Cleveland Cavaliers (7-7). Neither team is favored and the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 217.5 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Charlotte Hornets ATS Preview
The Cavaliers barely escaped the New York Knicks in their last contest, 104-101. LeBron James led Cleveland in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Cleveland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.205 (below their season average of 0.246) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.489 (below their season average of 0.540). New York was 0.193 and 0.477, respectively, for those same stats.
The last time the Hornets played, they were defeated by the Boston Celtics, 90-87. Kemba Walker was the game’s leading scorer with 20 points on 5-for-19 shooting. Boston held the Hornets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.9 (below their season average of 22.4). Charlotte, meanwhile, held the Celtics to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.505).
Charlotte could put on a ball-control clinic in this meeting. Charlotte ranks second in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.6 percent), while Cleveland forces the third-fewest turnovers (13.7 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games including Cleveland have finished over 64.3 percent of the time, while Charlotte games have gone under 58.3 percent of the time. The Cavaliers hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (7-7 vs. 5-7), but the Hornets have been superior against the spread (ATS) (5-6-1 vs. 4-9-1).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Cavaliers won all four matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Cleveland won 112-105. Cleveland did an excellent job of making free throws (21-24; 87.5 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 9.7).
Cleveland Cavaliers at Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank third in steals allowed per game (7.2) while the Cavaliers rank 14th (8.2).
- Cleveland ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while Charlotte ranks ninth (4.5).
- Charlotte ranks 19th in assists allowed per game (22.9) while Cleveland ranks 29th (25.6).
- On the road, Cleveland is 4-3 ATS with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Charlotte is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Cleveland is 2-0 and Charlotte is 3-1.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Hornets are 5-2 and the Cavaliers are 7-5.
- The Hornets rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (7.8) while the Cavaliers rank 12th (10.4).
- Charlotte ranks first in rebounds per game (47.9) while Cleveland ranks 20th (42.1).
- The Cavaliers rank ninth in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while the Hornets rank 27th (13.8).
- The Cavaliers rank eighth in second chance points per game (13.4) while the Hornets rank 11th in second chance points allowed per game (11.1).
- Cleveland ranks 10th in three pointers attempted per game (30.4) while Charlotte ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (31.8).
Charlotte is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
Over their last five games, Cleveland is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
The Hornets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 1.5 for the season.
During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 113.4 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average).