Expect a low-scoring game when the No. 20 Clemson Tigers (16-4, 5-3 ACC) and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (10-10, 3-4 ACC) go head-to-head at McCamish Pavilion. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 127.5 points with Clemson opening as a 2.5-point favorite. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Clemson Tigers vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Betting Preview
The last time the Tigers played, they were blown out by the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers, 61-36. With 11 points on 4-for-10 shooting, Gabe DeVoe led Clemson in scoring. Virginia’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Clemson. The Cavaliers had a rate of 15.6 (worse than their season average of 13.4), while the Tigers posted a mark of 28.0 (above their season average of 16.3).
The Yellow Jackets are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-77 loss to the Florida State Seminoles in their last outing. With 16 points, 16 rebounds and five assists, Josh Okogie had a solid game for Georgia Tech. Florida State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.639 (above their season average of 0.538). Georgia Tech, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.4 (above their season average of 31.3).
The ineffective offense of Georgia Tech (280th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 101.0) will square off against the elite defense of Clemson (32nd in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 95.6). The Tigers figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
Of Clemson’s 17 games with betting action, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 10 of Georgia Tech’s 16 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Tigers have a sizable advantage. They are 16-4 SU and 10-6-1 ATS, while the Yellow Jackets are 10-10 SU and 8-7-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Tigers won the most recent game 74-62. The Tigers played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.9 and a fantastic free throw rate of 0.389. The Yellow Jackets had marks of 21.5 and 0.283, respectively, for those same stats.
Clemson Tigers at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Clemson, ATS Winner – Georgia Tech, O/U – Under
- The Yellow Jackets rank 46th in steals per game (7.3) while the Tigers rank 108th (6.4).
- Clemson is 3-5-1 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Georgia Tech is 5-4 ATS with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- Clemson ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Georgia Tech ranks 162nd (14.0).
- The Tigers rank 156th in three pointers attempted per game (21.5) while the Yellow Jackets rank 282nd (14.7).
- Georgia Tech ranks 22nd in blocks per game (5.3) while Clemson ranks 97th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Georgia Tech is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Clemson is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Yellow Jackets have been outscored by an average of 3.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Georgia Tech has defeated opponents by an average of 1.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (8.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (4.4 above their season average).