The No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels (14-4, 3-2 ACC) welcome the No. 20 Clemson Tigers (15-2, 4-1 ACC) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against exceptional defense. North Carolina opened as a 6-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 147.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Clemson Tigers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels Free Preview
The last time the Tigers played, they defeated the No. 18 Miami (FL) Hurricanes, 72-63. Donte Grantham was the games leading scorer with 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting. The Tigers made 16 of their 17 free throws (94.1 percent) and held the Hurricanes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.429 (below their season average of 0.545).
The Tar Heels hope to maintain momentum after barely hanging on to beat the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in their last outing, 69-68. With 18 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Luke Maye led North Carolina in scoring. The Tar Heels had a solid turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 15.0) and held the Fighting Irish to an effective field goal percentage of 0.424 (below their season average of 0.541).
This matchup pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses. North Carolina ranks 54th in offensive efficiency and Clemson ranks 27th in defensive efficiency.
Of Clemson’s 14 games with betting action, seven have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of North Carolina’s 17 games have finished over the projected point total. The Tigers have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (15-2 vs. 14-4) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (9-5 vs. 9-7-1).
Grantham has been outstanding over the last five games for Clemson, averaging 15.0 points, 10.6 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. The Tar Heels won the lone contest played against each other last season, 89-86. North Carolina had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (51.1 vs. 26.3). Clemson, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.191 vs. 0.115).
Clemson Tigers vs. North Carolina Tar Heels Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – North Carolina, ATS Winner – North Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Tar Heels rank first in rebounds per game (44.2) while the Tigers rank 104th (36.9).
- On the road, Clemson is 3-4 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- North Carolina is 5-2 ATS at home with 5 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- Clemson ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (10.4) while North Carolina ranks 191st (14.7).
- The Tigers rank 113th in three pointers allowed per game (21.4) while the Tar Heels rank 257th (26.9).
- Clemson averages 5.6 blocks per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. North Carolina ranks 161st in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- North Carolina is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Clemson is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Tar Heels average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 11.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (4.0 above their season average).