The Boston Celtics (26-9) will be at home in TD Garden when they meet the Chicago Bulls (10-21). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 206 points with Boston opening as a 7-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Chicago Bulls vs. Boston Celtics ATS Preview
In the Bulls last outing, they lost a close one to the Cleveland Cavaliers, 115-112. Kris Dunn put together a good game for Chicago, putting up 10 points, 14 assists and five rebounds. Cleveland did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (19-22; 86.4 percent). Chicago, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.624 (above their season average of 0.491).
The Celtics are trying to rebound after their 102-93 loss to the New York Knicks in their last contest. Kyrie Irving led Boston in scoring with 32 points on 12-for-27 shooting. New York did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (22-26; 84.6 percent). Boston, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (9.6 vs. 15.8).
Boston could dominate on defense as they clash against one of the worst offenses in the NBA. The Celtics currently rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.496), while Chicago is 28th in effective field goal percentage (0.495).
Of Chicago’s 31 games, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Boston’s 35 games have finished under the projected point total. The Celtics have the superior straight up (SU) record (26-9 vs. 10-21) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (21-12-2 vs. 17-11-3).
Nikola Mirotic has been on fire as of late for Chicago, averaging 22.4 points and 9.6 rebounds over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 193 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 193.5. The Bulls won 108-85, covering as 5.5-point underdogs. The Bulls dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.222 and a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.0. The Celtics were 0.108 and 14.4, respectively, for those same stats. Mirotic scored a game-high 24 points.
Chicago Bulls at Boston Celtics Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 14th in rebounds per game (43.8) while the Bulls rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.3).
- Chicago ranks 28th in points off turnovers per game (14.3) while Boston ranks 29th (13.9).
- Boston ranks 20th in blocks per game (4.4) while Chicago ranks 27th (3.7).
- Chicago is 9-6-1 ATS on the road with 10 overs and 6 unders.
- Boston is 9-6-2 ATS at home with 9 overs and 8 unders.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Chicago is 4-5 and Boston is 18-1.
- The Bulls are 9-7 when they score more than 100 points, while the Celtics are 19-3.
- The Celtics rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.5) while the Bulls rank eighth (11.0).
- Boston ranks third in assists allowed per game (20.1) while Chicago ranks 26th (24.5).
- The Celtics rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.2) while the Bulls rank 20th (30.1).
- The Celtics rank 17th in fast break points per game (10.0) while the Bulls rank 18th in fast break points allowed per game (11.2).
- Boston ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.5) while Chicago ranks 18th (44.7).
- Boston is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chicago is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Celtics have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 4.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (12.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (0.5 above their season average).