The New York Knicks (19-21) will be at home in Madison Square Garden when they square off with the Chicago Bulls (14-27). Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Chicago Bulls vs. New York Knicks Odds Preview
The Bulls were beaten by the Houston Rockets in their last game, 116-107. Kris Dunn had a solid game for Chicago, putting up 19 points and eight assists. Houston held the Bulls to an offensive rebounding percentage of 7.0 (below their season average of 20.2). Chicago, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.5 vs. 14.2).
In the Knicks last matchup, they topped the Dallas Mavericks, 100-96. New York received a boost from Kristaps Porzingis, who was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 9-for-25 shooting. New York dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (below their season average of 25.6) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.509). For those same stats, Dallas had marks of 15.5 and 0.413, respectively.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the NBA’s top rebounding teams battle. The Knicks rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 percent), while Chicago ranks second in defensive rebounding percentage (81.0 percent). Furthermore, the Bulls rank fifth in turnover percentage (13.1 percent), while the Knicks rank 21st in opponents turnover percentage (13.5 percent).
Of Chicago’s 41 games, 23 have finished over the O/U total, while 21 of New York’s 40 games have finished under the projected point total. The Knicks have the superior straight up (SU) record (19-21 vs. 14-27), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. New York is 22-18, while Chicago is 22-16-3 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Bulls winning both. Porzingis scored a game-high 23 points in the most recent game, in which the Knicks lost 92-87, unable to cover as 1.5-point underdogs. The two teams combined to put up 179 points, which was 29 points below the projected point total of 208 points. Chicago’s free throw rate was their largest strength over New York. The Bulls had a rate of 0.140, while the Knicks posted a mark of 0.099.
Chicago Bulls at New York Knicks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Bulls, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank ninth in points in the paint per game (46.8) while the Bulls rank 27th (40.4).
- Chicago ranks 16th in fast break points per game (10.0) while New York ranks 27th (6.6).
- New York ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while Chicago ranks 28th (3.7).
- Chicago is 12-8-1 ATS on the road, while New York is 15-7 ATS at home.
- In 21 road games, the Bulls have 14 overs and 7 unders.
- The Knicks have 12 unders and 10 overs in 22 home games.
- New York is 9-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Chicago is 5-5. When reaching the century mark, the Bulls are 12-11 and the Knicks are 18-10.
- The Knicks rank 15th in assists allowed per game (22.6) while the Bulls rank 27th (24.7).
- New York ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.3) while Chicago ranks 27th (45.5).
- The Knicks rank third in second chance points per game (14.4) while the Bulls rank 24th (10.6).
- The Bulls rank 16th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.5) while the Knicks rank 25th (18.4).
- Chicago ranks 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.9) while New York ranks last (21.2).
- New York is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chicago is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 111.0 points per game (9.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 122.6 points per game (14.5 above their season average).